Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 49 of 173 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Thread: OpenGL 3 Updates

Member Regular Contributor

Re: OpenGL 3 Updates

It's obvious this is held up by legal problems rather than technical. Everyone's lawyers have advised them not to say anything, so they are keeping silent. If it was a technical problem, they would say "Oh, hey, we ran into a problem with X feature".

Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Leadwerks
    It's obvious this is held up by legal problems rather than technical. Everyone's lawyers have advised them not to say anything, so they are keeping silent. If it was a technical problem, they would say "Oh, hey, we ran into a problem with X feature".
    Antoher one? Unreal Tournament 3 linux client is help up by legal problems too!
    Is that all about luck? Or does opengl3 specifications and the UT3 linux client availability bother somebody in particular that much? After ISO Fasttrack, we have now opengl3 and UT3 linux client slowtrack.

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor

Funny you should mention that. I was reading this article about the delay of the UT3 linux client yesterday. Guess what? They're speculating that the delay is caused because Microsoft may acquire Epic Games

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

Even if OpenGL was implemented not by GPU vendors directly, but on top of something like CUDA in the future, that does not mean one should stop working on OpenGL 3. It is really only a spec, so who it implements and how is really of no concern here. In the next few years it will definitely be implemented by the vendors (at least the windows-version). In the future it might indeed happen, that it will be implemented by someone else on top of CUDA or CTM, but for the USERS of OpenGL that are unimportant details.

If Vista wasn't such a crappy OS (IMO), i would have long switched to D3D10. I can't repeat often enough how disappointed i am with the whole OpenGL 3 thing.

Jan.
    GLIM - Immediate Mode Emulation for GL3

Junior Member Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Jan
    In the next few years it will definitely be implemented by the vendors (at least the windows-version).
    Nice to see some optimism about the OpenGL 3 spec release date for a change.

By the way on Linux the situation isn't that much different: There are ATI's and Nvidia's nonfree drivers, and Intel usually pays developers to create free drivers (so they're ready earlier), which are then improved by all of the community. So for all OSes vendors will be involved in creating GL3 drivers (if there will be a GL3).

Philipp

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

I feel sure we'll see something general like CUDA for GPU progamming across the board, if for no other reason than it'd be really cool (for my money there's no better reason than that). That is ultimately it'd be nice to program in a simple linear model, with absolutely no regard to the undelying architecture(s), be it threading 1000 core CPUs and GPUs or whatever tech lerks over the horizon...

I suppose compilers and runtime environments need to get a heck of a lot more sophisticated before any of that happens.

Member Regular Contributor

Not just the compilers and runtime enviroments, languages as well. Nothing we've got really maps multi-threading all that well (functional languages do a good job in general with Erlang being designed for it) but everything else pretty much sucks as they have very little native awareness of threads (C++ for example doesn't have a clue about them, C# probably has some but I don't know about any inbuilt transactional stuffs for memory, same Java, it's very much old skool).

So, while it'll be cool, we need better tools still...

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

Wild guess but C# probably comes out on top in the long run, since there's plenty of room for expansion and, perhaps more importantly, it's on a very fast evolutionary track.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

I have to agree with bobvodka. It's really a big issue, that our core tools (the languages) are mostly unaware of multi-threaded development. But at least with C++ one can't blame anyone, the language is 30 years old and i got my first multi-core processor a week ago.

Jan.
    GLIM - Immediate Mode Emulation for GL3

Super Moderator OpenGL Lord

On the Java front too, improved approches for modern (many cores etc) concurency are being studied.
    Some recent material on the subject here :
    http://qcon.infoq.com/london-2008/tr...sp?trackOID=94
    Plus it is actually an open platform, contrary to C#.

One may argue that the triangle rasterization used in graphic accelerators is one of the few concurrency paradigm that have been able to scale to a huge number of parallel computations while still being simple to program.