Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 41 of 173 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: OpenGL 3 Updates

Member Regular Contributor

Re: OpenGL 3 Updates

We already have those after a fashion with the built in uniforms and I believe GL3 improves on that with blocks of uniforms which cna be bound to programs and thus shared between them.

GLSL, poor compilers and no 'binary' format aside, is SO much better than HLSL that is crazy; HLSL should really have been called MLSL (Mid-Level Shading Language) as it's stuck somewhere between low level shaders and having to inform the compiler about your intent and high level syntax. GLSL's varying system is much better, a couple of die hard D3D users even agree that GLSL is better than HLSL... before going on to rag on the rest of the API

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by bobvodka
    GLSL, poor compilers and no 'binary' format aside, is SO much better than HLSL that is crazy;
    If you put usability in real word aside, then yes, GLSL has advantages.

having to inform the compiler about your intent and high level syntax.
    I like when I can tell the compiler about my intentions so it does not need to make guess about them (e.g. reoptimize shader when uniform value changes).

GLSL's varying system is much better, a couple of die hard D3D users even agree that GLSL is better than HLSL... before going on to rag on the rest of the API
    I personaly use only the gl_* varyings so I can take advantage of the color interpolators on NV hw and to reduce chance of driver wasting interpolators (e.g. those older ATI drivers where each varying consumed one 4 coordinate interpolator even if it was only float one). The DX approach also avoids the need to create explicit linking between vertex and fragment shader.

Junior Member Regular Contributor

With GL3 removing legacy functionality anyway, maybe Khronos decided to make a unified GL3/GLES3. One 3D API for everything from embedded deviced to graphics workstations.

Philipp

Quote Originally Posted by PkK
    With GL3 removing legacy functionality anyway, maybe Khronos decided to make a unified GL3/GLES3. One 3D API for everything from embedded deviced to graphics workstations.
    It's possible. I'm sure GL ES will use a 3.0-like API eventually if GL3.0 ultimately proves a Good Thing. Still waiting for that to happen though.

Even so, that wouldn't explain the silence. If anything I think people would respect such a decision were it to be made public.

Finally, I don't see how a GLES3.0 should truly impact the GL3.0 spec. There's no need for compatibility between the two. I believe it's just a convenience that GLES leverages the GL API. Similarly, GLES should have an easy time of stripping out what they don't (or can't) use from 3.0 to make their own v3.0, just as they did with 2.0.

Junior Member Regular Contributor PaladinOfKaos's Avatar

Wasn't there something about hopefully getting more news after the Khronos face-to-face meeting? Has that meeting happened yet, or are we still waiting? I don't see anything about it on the Khronos events calendar, either future or past...
    The unofficial community-lead OpenGL SDK is in development! http://glsdk.sourceforge.net

Member Regular Contributor

I'm reasonably sure that was around a month ago...

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinOfKaos
    Wasn't there something about hopefully getting more news after the Khronos face-to-face meeting? Has that meeting happened yet, or are we still waiting? I don't see anything about it on the Khronos events calendar, either future or past...
    Shhh!! Kronos is a timid creature and if it becomes aware that we're watching it it will run away and hide again!

BTW, the link is: Rob Barris mentions WG meeting

Intern Newbie

How about some optimism? They're hopefully working on a GL3 driver that routes function calls to GL2.

Quote Originally Posted by Warshade
    How about some optimism? They're hopefully working on a GL3 driver that routes function calls to GL2.
    Another link from our most informative poster, Mr. Rob Barris of Blizzard: GL3 wrapper for GL2 driver

Wow, even a tiny bit of information can quell the sarcasm! I feel so... fresh!