The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 158 of 173 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168 ... LastLast
Results 1,571 to 1,580 of 1724

Thread: OpenGL 3 Updates

Member Regular Contributor

Re: OpenGL 3 Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Barris
    As work is already underway for the next release, this is exactly the right time to bring up functionality that you want either as an OpenGL 3.0 extension or for the next core release. (Index buffer offsetting is on that list already)
    How about an Object Model which doesn't rely on bind to change, only to use... if you want I know some cool slides and newsletters you can look at for ideas...

Intern Contributor

With regards to scheduling for the next release, it's targeted for less than 12 months from now
    Great, just "one" more year. V-man, we are fucked.

With regards to scheduling for the next release, it's targeted for less than 12 months from now.
    Deja vu. Rob, what about the object model?

Intern Newbie

As work is already underway for the next release, this is exactly the right time to bring up functionality that you want either as an OpenGL 3.0 extension or for the next core release. (Index buffer offsetting is on that list already)

...snip...

With regards to scheduling for the next release, it's targeted for less than 12 months from now. I anticipate some new GL3 extensions to appear between now and then also.
    So we just wait another "year" to see if you deign to throw us a bone? I don't think you understand the situation here. You have killed OpenGL. You've killed 3D support on all non-Windows PC platforms. Nobody's going to wait around for you to fail us again in another year. OpenGL is dead now.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

"As work is already underway for the next release, this is exactly the right time to bring up functionality that you want either as an OpenGL 3.0 extension or for the next core release."

I do not want ANY functionality for OpenGL anymore, i am going to install Vista on my main PC the next week.

"With regards to scheduling for the next release, it's targeted for less than 12 months from now."

"Haha. Oh wait, you meant that seriously, let me laugh even harder!"

No really, stick it where-ever you want, i don't care, whether it takes 2 days or two years for the next release of whatever, i'm done with OpenGL.

"Khronos Releases OpenGL 3.0 Specifications to Support Latest Generations of Programmable Graphics Hardware"

Well, isn't that a joke in itself?! "Latest hardware". How shall we program the hardware of today or tomorrow with an API from the stone-ages?

And i thought OpenGL 2.0 was a disappointment.

Small tip for everybody else: When you disable Vista's stupid verfication-question, that OS becomes quite usable.

Jan.

PS: Take a look in the spec at pages 457 to 459.
    PPS: I am glad not to attend Siggraph for this [censored].
    GLIM - Immediate Mode Emulation for GL3

Member Regular Contributor

Tsuraan, can you enumerate what functionality you're looking for that isn't currently covered ?

Junior Member Regular Contributor Roderic (Ingenu)'s Avatar

M. Rob Barris, what about having a simpler, GL3.0 only spec ?
    (so that we only have things of relevance for people wanting to use the *new* thing alone [ie a forward-compatible context])

edit:
    and a clean GLSL 1.3 spec to go with it.
    -* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-

Intern Newbie

Tsuraan, can you enumerate what functionality you're looking for that isn't currently covered ?
    I hardly do any graphics programming anymore. I've been following the thread for the past year, as I'm sure you have been, and I've been looking forward to a general cleanup of the API. I've been looking forward to seeing progress, to seeing that there really was some reason for the big silence of the past year. Instead, I'm seeing that the reason for the silence was that there really was nothing being done. We don't have anything new, no object model, just some extensions rolled into the core. That's find and well, but how does that justify a year's worth of secrecy? What leadership does OpenGL have? Who trusts this leadership anymore? Why will anybody use OpenGL in the future, when Microsoft has a more open and community-oriented approach to their API, and it seems unanimous that their API is cleaner and their documentation is better?

Intern Newbie

We were promised that GL3 would be a clean break, a fully cleaned up API, with NO components of earlier GL versions. Functionality isn't really the issue - the API itself is.

What we got instead is yet more stuff added to the current - and overloaded - GL API. This really isn't GL3, its GL2.2. The ARB screwed us already with "GL2", which is just GL1.6. All Khronos slides about the totally new API, and immutable objects etc. were lies.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

... just as the cake ...
    GLIM - Immediate Mode Emulation for GL3