OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 157 of 173 FirstFirst ... 57107147155156157158159167 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,570 of 1724

Thread: OpenGL 3 Updates

Senior Member OpenGL Guru knackered's Avatar

Re: OpenGL 3 Updates

no binary blobs, no index offsets.....I think it's fair to say the ARB don't give a rats arse about the OpenGL community as a whole - just the small number of incompetent companies that struck it lucky in the mid-90's and decorated the CAD market with flecks of unmaintainable vomit masquerading as 'design tools'.

Junior Member Regular Contributor

Hi noncopyable! Could you talk about this police call? Seems to be more interesting than the OGL3.0 thingy...

Intern Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Hampel
    Hi noncopyable! Could you talk about this police call? Seems to be more interesting than the OGL3.0 thingy...
    OpenAxeMurderer?
    GLPsycho?

But anyway... Where are my volatile textures? Doh!

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor cass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HAL-10K
    Maybe for a company with a high seven digit revenue.

The resources we spend on pretty basic CPU multi-threading alone are border-line. How in hell should we be able to write our own vector processing interface then?!
    The key difference is that you currently require your OpenGL driver to come from one company as a gift at the time of their choosing with the features of their choosing. They in turn require all Khronos OpenGL ARB members to agree on what the core spec includes, though they can extend it at some non-zero cost to themselves for some unspecified gain.

Not everybody will be able to make their own GL implementation for obvious technical and fiscal reasons, but opening up the market to 3rd party implementations is absolutely better than your options today. If this doesn't feel empowering as a software developer, there's no reasoning with you.
    Cass Everitt -- cass@xyzw.us

Senior Member OpenGL Guru knackered's Avatar

meanwhile back in the real world....I'll let you know how my new mouse driver's coming along, as I'm so sick of waiting for the next version of DirectInput. I feel so empowered as a developer - or is that overworked?....I always get the two mixed up.
    Look on the bright side, we'd be back to the situation in the mid-90s again, a new graphics API emerging every week, totally incompatible with one another. Do I get to wear baggy jeans again?

Junior Member Regular Contributor

Well, that was a perfectly good waste of a year.

Regards
    elFarto

Intern Newbie

Great. Khronos just killed OpenGL. Microsoft will win. Eventually, nvidia and ati will drop OpenGL support altogether, and hardware-accelerated 3D will only be possible on consoles and Windows.

What a sad day.

Super Moderator OpenGL Guru

I guess we are fucked?
    ------------------------------
    Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
    an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
    float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
    glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
    glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
    glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
    glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
    glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
    glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
    glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);

Member Regular Contributor

As work is already underway for the next release, this is exactly the right time to bring up functionality that you want either as an OpenGL 3.0 extension or for the next core release. (Index buffer offsetting is on that list already)

Per the deprecation model, the next core release can eliminate many or all of the features marked deprecated in the 3.0 spec; along with that move will come the elimination of the associated state tracking for those features within the driver.

With regards to vector processing interfaces for generalized compute problems, Khronos is putting effort into OpenCL.

With regards to scheduling for the next release, it's targeted for less than 12 months from now. I anticipate some new GL3 extensions to appear between now and then also.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/kh...95%7D&dist=hppr

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor cass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knackered
    meanwhile back in the real world....I'll let you know how my new mouse driver's coming along, as I'm so sick of waiting for the next version of DirectInput. I feel so empowered as a developer - or is that overworked?....I always get the two mixed up.
    Look on the bright side, we'd be back to the situation in the mid-90s again, a new graphics API emerging every week, totally incompatible with one another. Do I get to wear baggy jeans again?
    Nevermind, you're right. We should pin all our hopes on the ARB and hardware vendors. They always come through.
    Cass Everitt -- cass@xyzw.us