The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 151 of 173 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 1724

Thread: OpenGL 3 Updates

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor

Re: OpenGL 3 Updates

@Leadwerks:
    Then, why don't you just start already? You could haven written your own fully-customizable-jaw-dropping-rendering algorithm ages ago.

Member Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_999
    ATI has a SDK for OpenGL? Wow when did that happen?
    Some time ago, it's just not as full as NV's one for obvious reasons. It's all part of their general SDK.

Junior Member Newbie

One of the first OpenGL 3 books. http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-OpenGL-2...18260451&sr=1-1 . The wait for the book is going to be as hard as the wait for the API.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

Whoa. The fact that this book exists enough to have a preorder suggests that the ARB might actually have their stuff together this time. We could eve see a real SDK and everything.

Not that I'm holding my breath...

Anyway, while book taglines aren't always truthful: "Covering OpenGL 3.0, the new and more efficient API that provides Direct3D 10 level graphics and is platform independent."

That seems to support the hypothesis that Longs Peak has been properly folded into 3.0 proper.

Junior Member Newbie

Will OpenGL 3.0 use the C89 or C99 standard? I know they are compatable but just wanted to know.

hmmmm, afaik Luke Benstead aka Kazade isn't linked to the ARB in anyway so I'm intriged as to how he would have got access to the spec in order to get a book out by Feb of next year..

Super Moderator OpenGL Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bobvodka
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars_999
    ATI has a SDK for OpenGL? Wow when did that happen?
    Some time ago, it's just not as full as NV's one for obvious reasons. It's all part of their general SDK.
    What is their latest OpenGL demo? It seemed like they haven't written anything new in 3 years.
    ------------------------------
    Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
    an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
    float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
    glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
    glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
    glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
    glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
    glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
    glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
    glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);

Because I don't know the specifics of Larabee yet. It has some special hardware for texture caching and lookups, and I wouldn't be surprised if they did something similar for vertex buffers.

But when I have time I'll talk to Intel and see if I can get an NDA for it.

Junior Member Newbie

I've scanned this thread so far and nobody's mentioned this so I guess I will.

Has anyone seen Carmack's Quakecon 08 keynote? Toward the end someone asked him about the state of OpenGL 3.0, and basically he said that they scrapped the whole idea of doing a full-on revamp of the API, because a lot of the Khronos ARB member companies didn't want to throw away all the legacy they'd invested in the old API to bring up an entirely new one. If, in fact, this is true, and I'm sure it is, as Carmack is a good source, am I the only one who feels more than a little bit hosed by all this? Promising a clean, modern API, remaining bone chillingly silent for a year, then "oh wait, just kidding"? Unless Carmack was wrong or lying, at this point I'm sure that whatever the ARB intends to deliver will do nothing but massively disappoint. Oh well, 5 days to find out.

I don't think Carmack would outright lie, however there is a chance he could be mistaken. Although I had already passed on a report in this thread about what we knew about GL3.0 not being what GL3.0 is now.

My problem with his statement is that OpenGL, as it stands, has moved away from the hardware, so while they may have legacy code that code is taking more and more effort to write as well as costing performance. So, unless they are prepared to take that hit and effectively watch D3D ride off into the sunset performance wise, I dont' see it as logical.

That said I'm assuming logic from the ARB members which could be a flaw.

If we don't get something largely new from the ARB then they have effectively let OpenGL sit stagnant for two years while D3D continues to improve (I went to the XNA Game Fest in london on wednesday and attended a talk on D3D11 which looks to be a good superset of D3D10, for the most apart works on D3D10 hardware and exposes a telleslator for D3D11 hardware), a situation which pretty much rings the death knell for OpenGL as a viable game platform on Windows as who wants to work with an API where the ARB divvers for 2 years without doing anything and with that MS won't have killed OpenGL, the ARB will have.

Of course, all that said, I'm not convinced Carmack is correct, but I guess in a few days we'll either be celerbating or burning effigies of the ARB members...