OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 149 of 173 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 1724

Thread: OpenGL 3 Updates

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

Re: OpenGL 3 Updates

When I think of an SDK I don't think of "place I can get documentation online".
    Oh, I don't disagree. I'm not saying that what's there is good; I just pointed out that it wasn't fundamentally useless.

Intern Contributor

Well, at least OpenGL3 got a new site... must be something behind..

I hope we will not be disappointed on 13. 6 days to go

OpenGL3.ORG will be a marketing website for the new API, don't expect anything else.

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

I find the SDK helpful, in particular the GLSL cheat sheet is the bee's knees. All in all it's a valiant effort to make GL documentation more accessible and convenient.

But let's face it, the old timers will be interested primarily in the core and extension specs, which collectively form what is hands down among the best API documentation one could reasonably hope for.

which collectively form what is hands down among the best API documentation one could reasonably hope for.
    Specifications are not documentation and never have been. Specifications are exactly that: they explain in minute detail what entrypoints do. Because of that, they are needlessly complicated and arcane. Yes, you can deduce what a function does by reading it, but that doesn't mean that real documentation isn't useful.

After all, the "SDK" has documentation that is separate from the specification. The "SDK" documentation is a much better way of finding out what a function does, rather than picking through the arcanum inherent in the specification. Yes, the spec is nice to have, when that arcanum becomes important (or for finding out if certain function behavior is correct), but it's better to have real documentation for the other 95% of the time.

As far as games and simulations go:

A proper SDK will be the a heavily contributing deciding factor for OpenGL's future. Many developers (even here on this board), including myself have stepped over to Direct3D as their primary graphics API because of its documentation and provided samples. Even through the Direct3D API is not the best -to say the least-, I find it more comfortable to work with since I can reference the SDK on my computer's hard-drive whenever I want. This is a huge plus for Microsoft.

The biggest decider for OpenGL is community support, which is heavily diminishing. The current OpenGL SDK is a joke and not really an SDK. And how many games are still being made with OpenGL? Two per year?

If anything, the NVIDIA SDK for OpenGL is more of an OpenGL SDK than OpenGL's own. Linking to others' websites is dangerous since there is no control over the contents of the pages and to me, projects laziness on Khronos' part.

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

I'll grant you that calling a specification "documentation" in the classical sense may be stretching things a bit, depending on your point of view; but it gets the job done in a pinch ;-)

Junior Member Regular Contributor PaladinOfKaos's Avatar

As I said over here (shameless plug), we can't expect the ARB to create a full-fledged vendor-neutral OpenGL SDK. It's way beyond what they do, and way beyond what the vendor's are capable of cooperation-wise[1]. The only way OpenGL is going to get a proper SDK is if those who know about it write the examples and utilities themselves. Yeah it's a lot of work, but working together it'll be much easier.

[1] No offense meant to those of you here that work for the companies. I'm sure you all want to cooperate. But your legal and marketing teams...
    The unofficial community-lead OpenGL SDK is in development! http://glsdk.sourceforge.net

we can't expect the ARB to create a full-fledged vendor-neutral OpenGL SDK.
    Then they shouldn't act like they're going to create one and then create something that's only slightly useful. Just say that they can't do it, that they don't have the resources to do it, and leave it at that.

The current SDK is a marketing gimmick; its a way for them to say, "See? We do have an SDK."

Member Regular Contributor

Agreed; I would have said it's pretty much universally accepted that an SDK is more than 'a few web pages'.