Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fragment shader lenght : ATI vs nVidia

Intern Newbie

fragment shader lenght : ATI vs nVidia

Hi, I read some people saying it was easy produce code that exceeds the maximum length of the fragment shading unit on ATI boards when coding in GLSL, which would force CPU based execution of the code.
    But how shorter is it than nVidia's fragment shading unit? are there any benchmarks I could consult to get a more precise info? thnx alot.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru Relic's Avatar

Re: fragment shader lenght : ATI vs nVidia

If the GLSL implementations are based on the previous fragment_program extensions, querying GL_MAX_PROGRAM_INSTRUCTIONS_ARB defined in ARB_fragment_program should give you the maximum instructions on your chip.

Member Regular Contributor

nVidias NV3x generation is able to run shaders with a lenght of 1024 instructions.
    ATIs R3xx generation is able to execute shader with a lenght of about 94 (or 96, don't know right now) instructions. Theoretically ATI R3xx hardware supports a technique called F-Buffer which allows to split up shaders and execute them in multi-pass but there's no driver support yet...
    There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened...

Intern Newbie

All right thank you guys. One more question : Using GLSL, how can I figure out the actual lenght (asm equivalent) of a shader I've just written? how can I get feedback from the API after the compilation step?

There's no way to get the actual lenght of the shader you have written. The only feedback you will get is the InfoLog.
    There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Intern Newbie

Si I guess I'm on to some sort of time consuming trial-and-error process... Who said that GLSL was better than ASM ?

Junior Member Regular Contributor

R4x0 will have longer shader(I don't know corrctly, but at least >=256 fp instruction),
    NV4x - 24K(!)fp...
    2Corrail
    R3x0 - 64 fp instruction.
    Andrey Yaromenok

Only 64? Thought that was about 94...
    Thanks for the info!

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor

I believe it's actually 64 ALU instructions and 32 texture instructions, for a total maximum of 96 instructions. NV3x does not make this distinction, so the maximum of 1024 is regardless of instruction type.

-- Tom

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

What the R3xx really provides internally is 32 triple opcodes. Each opcode may include a texture addressing operation, a 3-vector operation, and/or a scalar operation. So, using clever operation reordering, you can get 96. But, technically, you only have 32 of each type of instruction.

Si I guess I'm on to some sort of time consuming trial-and-error process
    That's the process everyone has to go through when working on limitted systems. When people use machines without virtual memory and only 16MB of RAM, they keep building stuff until it runs out of memory, then they start cutting things. The only difference is that you aren't aware of whether or not any particular cut will be meaningful until you actually do it.