rendermonkey

I read somewhere on this site that rendermonkey would support GLSL sometime around april. Does anywone know what the progress of this is? And yes i know there is ShaderDesigner, but RenderMonkey is going to be so much better (because ATI produced it)

Yes, Rendermonkey will support GLSL. A beta version is available to registered developer but I think that Rendermonkey 1.5 will be public soon.

If you wish, you can try this but it is an early version

http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/cgi_directory/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=011862

and switch to rendermonkey when it comes.

ATI promised RM 1.5 with GLSL-Support for April, but remeber that the GLSL-Part of RM isn’t developed by ATI, but by 3DLabs. So ATI may have no influence on the releasedate of that version…but April isn’t over, so perhaps we’ll get it within the next two weeks.

The final touches to RenderMonkey v1.5 (which includes GLSL support) are in progress, but the public release date may slip into May. It will be available for download from both the ATI and 3Dlabs websites.

Are there any simillar tools for Mac OS X.

>>but remeber that the GLSL-Part of RM isn’t developed by ATI, but by 3DLabs.
It is a contributors from 3Dlabs, but GLSL integration part was developed by ATI (Natalia Tatarchuk make a presentation about GLSL&RM at KRI 2k4)

Rendermonkey is a great tool. My only reservation with ATI is their lack of commitment to HCI. I mean Rendermonkey does what it was desiged to do but it doesen’t look like a professional product from a company as big as ATI. So do thir catalyst line of drivers. On the other hand, take the example of forceware drivers or ShaderFX by nVidia. They have put a lot of thought on the UI design of their components and they really look like world class products. It’s a shame they do not have any tool for creating and editting GLSL shader yet but I guess something must be in works and once that comes out, Rendermonkey will have quite a hard time competing specially with newer audience.

Fastian , I disagree.

RM is nice and simple which is what I like about it.
I didn’t like the changes they made to v1.0. The beta was better.

I think you mean FXComposer by Nvidia. It’s seemed complicated. I didn’t touch it much, but the user interface seemed clutered. Besides, no GLSL support there either.

ShaderFX is another companies product, which also isn’t bad. That’s also DX only.

IMO, too many DX only tools.

Originally posted by V-man:
[b]Fastian , I disagree.

RM is nice and simple which is what I like about it.
I didn’t like the changes they made to v1.0. The beta was better.

IMO, too many DX only tools.[/b]
I agree. It is simple and very fast and I like that about it. But putting those huge ATI icons on the toolbar which look more like programmers art is not good. A lot of people go by face value and rendermonkey doesen’t look that good.

And I agree, there are too many DX tools out there but no OGL tool and thats what makes Rendermonkey so special.

As far as FX composer is concerned (yes, I misjudged the name :slight_smile: ), I agree it is very cluttered but everything is customizable and you can close/position all of the windows to suit your needs.

I just want ATI to invest some thought in getting their UI right. Atleast put some decent icons to make it look better.

Any news on a release-date? I just got an ftp-link for the newest version (I guess…it’s 1.5 build 347) and the glsl-part already looks good (although I had some access violations on exiting and one loading a sample) to me, so what’s taking you 3Dlabs-guys so long?

Hello, It will be semi off topic but…
Remember when I announced that I’ll do a tool for develop glsl shaders? remember that I’d anounced that the tool will be free? well, at least I’ve finished it today, with the essential help of Eirik Hoem :slight_smile:
The Shader Designer is free of bugs (I hope), and has some interesing features. You can download it here: www.typhoonlabs.com.
I hope that it will be usefull for some people :slight_smile:
I’ll rest some days, and then… the developing of SD2.0 for win/linux will start.

heh, silly finger pointing; it is a collaboration y’know. but cool you like what you see.

Originally posted by 3DlabsDevRel:
The final touches to RenderMonkey v1.5 (which includes GLSL support) are in progress, but the public release date may slip into May. It will be available for download from both the ATI and 3Dlabs websites.
you mistyped and wanted to write “June” right ? :wink:

Thanks for your patience. Note: a prerelease is available to registered developers; if you need early access, please register.

Originally posted by 3DlabsDevRel:
Thanks for your patience. Note: a prerelease is available to registered developers; if you need early access, please register.
Any update on when will the public version of new rendermonkey be released? It’s getting frustratingly late and looking like one of nVidias paper launch long before the actual product has arrived.

About the prerelease version, i’m an ATI owner. Can I register and get it?

-Fastian

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.