GLFW 2.0 pre-release

Now that there’s a new discussion forum for these things, I’d like to mention my OpenGL framework API, GLFW, which is approaching version 2.0.

Some of the features:

• Very easy to use API
  • No Win32/GLX coding necessary
  • Open an OpenGL window with one call
  • Good fullscreen support
  • Mouse and keyboard input
  • High precision timer
  • Multithreading support
  • Full compatibility between Windows and X11
  • It’s open source
  • It’s free
  • Supports MinGW, MSVC and GCC (for Unix)
  • User Guide and Reference Manual in PDF format (not 100% finished yet)

A pre-release is available at (the not yet finished page): http://hem.passagen.se/opengl/glfw/

Feedback is welcome!

This is cool! The more GL frameworks the better! Direct3D (will) never have stuff like this.

Jim

Hey, looks really cool.

I am looking for a toolkit that supports platform independant high precision timers, looks like I found one. Its very hard to code a portable real time app without them.

Overmind

Originally posted by Overmind:
I am looking for a toolkit that supports platform independant high precision timers, looks like I found one. Its very hard to code a portable real time app without them.

I agree! I hope you are satisfied with the rest of the toolkit. The timing support will probably be improved in future versions of GLFW (I need to do more thorough testing of the timers, especially with long running tests, and I will most likely implement RDTSC timing for x86 computers).

Ok, the pre-release is as close to a final release as it will ever be! The docs are done, the API is fixed - there are only a few details in the distribution archive left to sort out (but that will have to wait for some other day - I’m tired…).

So don’t be afraid, try it now!