GLU or GLUT??

Hi!

I hope that someone can help me out with this problem.

I’m using Windows XP Pro on my notebook with a ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 graphics card.

Well I’ve installed the latest drivers for my graphics card. I’m trying to learn how to program in OpenGL using Visual Studio .Net 2003.

I know that Windows is shipped with version 1.1 of OpenGL but I read here that the latest version is 1.5. Where can I find the latest version of OpenGL?
Please submit full link so I can find it, cause I looked around for so long now.

Is GLU the OpenGL graphics Library currently in version 1.5 that is reffered?

What about GLUT?
What is that and where do I find it?

Maybe I’m too new at this, cause I can’t find any good answers.

A good place to start is the OpenGL FAQ at http://www.opengl.org/resources/faq and the OpenGL examples at http://www.opengl.org/resources/code. Additionally, buy the OpenGL Programming Guide. There are numerous examples in it that will get you well on your way. Good luck!

Originally posted by Hachaso:
…I know that Windows is shipped with version 1.1 of OpenGL but I read here that the latest version is 1.5. Where can I find the latest version of OpenGL?
For windows, you cannot. There’s no such GL1.5 under win32. The only thing you can do is to extend GL1.1 thuru extensions. This usually gives you 99% of the 1.5 specification. Some additional features (such as packed pixel formats for example) needs to be enabled after cheking GL_VERSION returned by the driver.
Is GLU the OpenGL graphics Library currently in version 1.5 that is reffered?
I never read of GLU in any GL spec.
What about GLUT?
What is that and where do I find it?

Sorry, I can’t provide you a link since I would have to search for it but it’s in opengl.org development resources. GLUT is a wrapper to make porting easier. For you, it makes development much easier by providing functions which automatically choose the pixel format and opens the window for you.

I guess that’s all.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.