Opengl For XP

i think you should make opengl compatible with windows xp i am currently using xp professional and i really dont want to dual boot just to play my games or waste the 199 dollars i spent on my operating system i have already wasted money on games that only support opengl like King Pin,and Serious Sam.One time i though about getting rid of xp just for opengl but that would be a pricey jump i managed to install opengl on xp the games are playable but the graphics such as figures are black and have no texture serious sam was also playable with opengl half the screen was perfect while the other showed the same bugs as before with a little bit of time im sure you guys can get opengl compatible with xp while playing these games i was running

Microsoft Windows Xp Professional 1.6ghz Pentium 4 512megs of ram 133mhz fsb s3 savage 4 agp with 16 megs on 2 40gig hard creative audilogy gamer pci sound card and a intel pro 10\100 network card hopefully my computer stats will help you in futher development with opengl

It’s up to Microsoft to add support OpenGL in Windows XP, and there is support for OpenGL in Windows XP already.

The problem you are having is probbaly lack of drivers for your graphics card in Windows XP. And these drivers are up to the manufacturer of your card to provide.

You can either waste $200 and be unhappy, or spend $200 on a GeForce series video card and be forever happy with it I spent $209 on my GTS almost a year ago, and I am completely satisfied with it. Works like a charm, has the best driver support around, OpenGL runs better than D3D (As it very well should)… yummy.

… or you an spend $300 on Radeon 8500 and be even happier.

I spent $200 on a video card that now doesn’t support OpenGL on xp. The one I’m talking about is the Rage Fury Maxx by ATI.

I also upgraded to find out that my $100 sound card doesn’t work on XP either (Monster MX400 if you were wondering).

And now I can’t play Quake3 until ATI comes out with a driver (if ever).

Sucks to be me…

You might try adding a linux and/or a winblows98 partition(s).

Hey i just bought Return to Castle Wolfenstein and it needs OPENGL…but im running XP…is there anyway i can play the game while keepin XP and not buying any new cards? i have a trident micro video card…Thanks alot leave post or reply at flex9198@aol.com

Hello

I couldn’t post this but here you go.

How come it’s upto Microsoft to make OpenGL compatible?

It works with the 9x/ME but not with NT/2000/XP.
Now it seems that any of the OS’s with the NT Kernel and not the old DOS one get’s it in the neck. This is coding of OpenGL obviously.

Maybe before OpenGL2.0 comes out the OpenGL team should write a patch for the existing OpenGL. Something like:

“click here to run the OpenGLXP patch and Counter-Strike/Half-Life, etc will work…”

Yay, that’d be nice.
D3D works but… e.g. I can’t see Sprays/logos, bullets hole, blood, explosion marks in Counter-Strike. A bit of suckage me thinks.

Cheers

Midas

Well, first of all, it’s up to Microsoft because it’s their ICD mechanism that makes OpenGL work nicely on Windows machines. But, secondly, there are many people who are happily using WinXP and OpenGL (let alone WinNT and Win2000). It isn’t working for you for some reason, but don’t blame either WinXP or OpenGL. Maybe you need to install the XP drivers for your particular video card or something.

DONT BOTHER WASTING any more money, I have a very similar configuration, BUT using XP home…and I am running BOTH a GefFORCE2, and an ATI RADEON something…doesnt really matter, since XP doesn’t support OpenGL properly. Save your money, and either wait for an update…or go to Win2k or whatever. I understand that this is a pricey change…it is one that I have been contemplating for a month now too…If I change, I lose the support from my computer mfg, unless I buy ANOTHER copy of Win2k from them with their support options.

Thanks

Ey, you’re the guy from the Multo monitor thread, right? As I said there, it’s not and OpenGL issue. It’s a driver issue. And XP has excellent support for OpenGL. If you are having trouble, it’s not OpenGL’s fault, and it’s not Window’s fault.

And before posting junk here, you should read about OpenGL.

Yes, the information is right here, www.opengl.org

and if you cant find it, ask in the beginners group.

V-man

Look Windows Xp is great but I still Love my own programed fully functional Neo Operating system. Open gl hurry up and make an open gl that works with XP pro Please!!

Originally posted by Kipin:
[b]I spent $200 on a video card that now doesn’t support OpenGL on xp. The one I’m talking about is the Rage Fury Maxx by ATI.

I also upgraded to find out that my $100 sound card doesn’t work on XP either (Monster MX400 if you were wondering).

And now I can’t play Quake3 until ATI comes out with a driver (if ever).

Sucks to be me…[/b]

Maybe you should do a little research before you buy your hardware

The only solution is not to install XP at all.
We all know wich is the story :

1. Microsoft starts selling a beta OS claiming it’s a final.

2. People start arguing with that OS.

3. Microsoft and/or card vendors start writing buggy drivers.

4. People starts arguing about the drivers’ bugs too.

5. Finally OS and Drivers seems to be working.

6. Two days after Microsoft pops out with a new OS.

Ok, just “joking” :stuck_out_tongue: , but hey it’s real, ATI Rage 128 does not have a so stable driver.
And the other side, also last Detonator makes my GF256-2-3 cards crash somethimes.

rIO.sK