libraries

Hello,
I want to make first steps with opengl,
but my question is, if I understood right, then is opengl integrated in Mesa.
Why aren´t libraries how glut available.
Which other packages must I install.

Thanks.
HPE

Mesa does come with glut. Your installation is not correct. You should try reinstalling your RPMs (or Debian packages or tarballs or whatever package system your distro. uses), or download Mesa and compile it yourself.

Mesa doesn’t include OpenGL, it’s a kind of OpenGL-clone! And a really good one.
Normally, a lite version of glut comes with Mesa, in order to be able to compile the examples.
If you want a full version of glut, then try freeglut. I haven’t tried yet, but you should have a look at: http://freeglut.sourceforge.net/

Originally posted by gahre:
Mesa doesn’t include OpenGL, it’s a kind of OpenGL-clone! And a really good one.

This is true.

Normally, a lite version of glut comes with Mesa, in order to be able to compile the examples.

Now I’m not entirely sure what you’re talking about. A “lite” version? The Mesa GLUT is quite complete, supporting such things as tablets, glx extension querying, fonts, all kinds of crazy shapes (spheres, dodecahedrons, etc), and more.

At any rate, Mesa GLUT seems a lot further along than that free GLUT, and Mesa is under constant development.

Thank you all,
it was just: I forgot to install the package
“mesadev” (SuSe). Now it works, but very slowly. Is that because I just have 64 MB Ram or is it my 8MB Graphic-Card?

Thank you so far!

You are probably running in software mode and not HW accelerated mode.

What are these modes?

How can I see in which I am and
how do I change?

software mode == everything being done by the CPU

hardware mode == some stuff being done by the graphics card.

(roughly)

Exactly how you get into one mode or the other depends on which version of X you are using and which video card you have.

My X-Version is Xfree86 4.0 and I hava a 8MB-ATI-Rage II video card. What have I to do for running in HW?

Beats me.

I’d start by visiting www.xfree86.org and reading about “DRI”. It typically involves loading a kernel module and some fancy options in your XF86Config-4 file.

OK, thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.