OpenGL wiki?

I have noticed that most of the time people are answering questions that have either been asked before or there is a plethora of information available on those, either online, or in GL specification docs. This is a great redundancy in my humble opinion.

I want to suggest to the moderators (or anyone else who might have some authority), to start up a wiki section on the opengl.org website. That way people can put up their knowledge and experiences online and possibly a lot of problems will be solved from there and the forum will then become more focussed towards solving “real” problems.

Forgive my ignorance if such a wiki already exists on some other site, but googling didn’t reveal anything and i want it to be on the OpenGL website.

yeah i totally agree!

the amount of times questions like “how do i install opengl 2.0” get’s asked, well …haha alot!! …a wiki would be a great way help to solve this. I know personally i get sick of answering the same questions so i don’t really bother too much anymore.

A wiki would be really great.

marco

That would be awesome!

Have someone server space? I know there is a game dev opengl wiki but I haven’t heard about it much. I believe its better to begin and than to migrate it opengl.org. What I would really like is a “design pattern” part.

im all for it
a good oportunity to try out the post poll thingee, its sits there so folorn at the botoom of the screen

Yeah, but i don’t know how to do it without opengl.org support. One of the main reason why the wiki would be good is because a lot of senior gl programmers don’t reply to posts anymore (Eric Lengyl and some nvidia engineers). But i am sure they can post an occasional article on the wiki, and since these are the most experienced people in the industry, i am sure their articles will be useful for everyone.

Tom, Eric?

Originally posted by marco:
Have someone server space? I know there is a game dev opengl wiki but I haven’t heard about it much. I believe its better to begin and than to migrate it opengl.org. What I would really like is a “design pattern” part.
I have server space available and could provide wiki space for opengl use…

Issue 1) Shall this interact with “official” wikis?
:slight_smile:
DISCUSSION: I believe there would be interesting opportunities in doing this directly in standard wikipedia. The same medium seems to be quite crippled with trash so there’s risk to miss visibility. The higher amount of hits will make vandalism and simply “wrong revisions” much more probable.

By the way, I’ll possibly drop a line to Wikipedia founder (I believe it’s called Terry Walsh). OpenGL is a very important thing and I believe its related wiki must be done with some care. I mean, I hardly believe it’s a good idea to put up a service like this without asking from “upper” raccomandations. Definetly not something which can be decided with a few forum posts.

Hi,

A wiki would be GREAT!

P.S. Maybe I’m wrong, but it seems to me that this forum is not extremely well known. Maybe there are other forums (not known to me) where there is more activity. Remember, we have only about ten posts per day, that’s a rather small number isn’t it, and a major part of them are questions like “can I do graphics with opengl…” :wink:

Remember also, exist are positive sides of common forum.

If you will “extremally well known” then write to here extremally problems.

We need webspace and we links from opengl.org, ati, nvidia, nehe etc… And we need content otherwise it will be a desert. There should be links to other lessons, tutorials etc… I’m not so sure that Wikipedia is a so good idea because of external links.

Hi All

We can host such a wiki on our website and offer moderating services.

Let us know if you are interested in it.

The gDEBgger team
www.gremedy.com

Originally posted by marco:
I’m not so sure that Wikipedia is a so good idea because of external links.
What is the problem here exactly?
Last time I read about external links, they were encouraged to give “external” proof of concept, thus making the article more trustable.

Originally posted by Graphic Remedy:
[b]Hi All

We can host such a wiki on our website and offer moderating services.

Let us know if you are interested in it.

The gDEBgger team
www.gremedy.com [/b]
This sounds great but there should some start content in it before we start. One way maybe would not only answer in the forum but also write it in the wiki. For this there should be a basic structure.

Yeah, we need a template which the people can adhere to. We can start off by “re-writing” some nVidia and ATi articles, following that template. Somebody’s gotta make a start :slight_smile: .

Originally posted by Zulfiqar Malik:
Yeah, we need a template which the people can adhere to. We can start off by “re-writing” some nVidia and ATi articles, following that template. Somebody’s gotta make a start :slight_smile: .
There should be a FAQ. Maybe people give us their permission to use their stuff.

Originally posted by mlb:
P.S. Maybe I’m wrong, but it seems to me that this forum is not extremely well known.
You are wrong, this forum is extremely well known and respected. Angus Dorbie, Mark Kilgard, Simon Green, Charles Bloom, Cass Everitt, Tom Nuydens… are just a few of the high profile contributors to this forum, and doubtless many more under alias’.
It’s a good thing there’s very few posts, because quality is what matters.

Originally posted by knackered:
[quote]Originally posted by mlb:
P.S. Maybe I’m wrong, but it seems to me that this forum is not extremely well known.
You are wrong, this forum is extremely well known and respected. Angus Dorbie, Mark Kilgard, Simon Green, Charles Bloom, Cass Everitt, Tom Nuydens… are just a few of the high profile contributors to this forum, and doubtless many more under alias’.
It’s a good thing there’s very few posts, because quality is what matters.
[/QUOTE]Don’t forget Korval and knackered! :slight_smile: