wrappers...

Hello friends (although youve acted poorly with me earlier)! I returned to here to correct one strong mistake which somebody has made here. He said: "Direct3D - its secondary. It`s just a wrapper based on OpenGL!"

1. In reality, Direct3D - is much more lower level API (It isnt my invention and its a russians experts`s information). (And OpenGL and Direct3D is two diffrent low level APIs)
  2. And OpenGL and Direct3D works through HAL drivers (So both are wrappers for HAL drivers).
    As result, Direct3D works a bit faster than OpenGL.
    This is not an off-topic. Its just a place where we can discuss OpenGL and Direct3D. If somebody has other information -> inform me, OK? Its interesting for me (Probably only for me!).

So, please, if somebody want to write “Trolling, trolling” => Don`t look inside this topic anymore.

Ok let’s discuss them.I don’t know where did ya get the information from the russian engineers but i bet it’s just some US crap.Only few russian palls think that Direct3D is ahead of OpenGL and i’d say that they’ve made the wrong choice.What makes me think like this?Let’s give a few examples!

1.OpenGL is EXTREMELY portable and works on all known OSes and the M$ junk Direct3D runs only on the M$ junk Windows.
2.The user interface of OpenGL is very easy to work with while there are huge and hard to use COM interfaces in DirectX
3.OpenGL is non-stop updated while DirectX just sit and watch.

In conclusion i would like to citate my favorite channel Cartoon Network:“DirectX phoey!!!”

Originally posted by C++:
Hello friends (although you`ve acted poorly with me earlier)!

Everyone is treated the same way.

This is a “Dont do this list”:
1.) You act dumb, you get flamed.
2.) You ask dumb questions, you get flamed
3.) You are off topic, you get flamed
4.) You dont ask a question but made a rather stupid post, you get flamed
5.) …

Well, you get the picture…

I returned to here to correct one strong mistake which somebody has made here.

By posting this you a generalizing it. If you have a beef with someone, settle it with him and with him alone.

By the way you may want to look up the “Dont do this list” again, especially item number 4.

He said: “Direct3D - its secondary. Its just a wrapper based on OpenGL!”

That is utter bullsh!t. On the contrary most OpenGL drivers use DirectDraw surfaces to handle buffers and textures.

1) In reality, Direct3D - is much more lower level API (It isnt my invention and its a russians experts`s information). (And OpenGL and Direct3D is two diffrent low level APIs)

If you would say DirectDraw is more lowlevel, I would agree.

2) And OpenGL and Direct3D works through HAL drivers (So both are wrappers for HAL drivers).

I agree.

I totaly disagree. And as long as you cant put up thrustworthy numbers, I say you are talking right out off your a$$.

This is not an off-topic.

This is WAY off topic. You are jumping on something one person may have said and I cant see the point of this post at all (besides revenge on him).
You had an argument with someone, why not answer his post/email rather then creating a new topic that makes you look really boneheaded?
Again. look up item number 4 on the “Dont do this list”.

It`s just a place where we can discuss OpenGL and Direct3D.

If you strike the Direct3D out of the sentence it would be true, otherwise you are completely missing the point of this forum.

If somebody has other information → inform me, OK? It`s interesting for me (Probably only for me!).

And why would somebody want to do that? Inform you that is.

So, please, if somebody want to write “Trolling, trolling” => Don`t look inside this topic anymore.

I do as I like and I most certainly dont need you to tell me what to do and what not.
You are trolling and I can only guess that you have nothing else to keep you busy, so I pity you.

Get a grip.

[This message has been edited by C-- (edited 06-30-2003).]

A call to draw a single primitive in DirectX takes about twice as long as the equivalent in OpenGL, so that you get half as many unique primitives in D3D as you do in OpenGL for the same CPU burden. nVidia and ATI document this through benchmarks, and an nVidia driver writer has said on this board that this fact is inherent to the way DirectX is implemented.

But, it typically boils down to personal preference, and people in general have already made up their minds and are seeking information to justify their decision rather than to make it.

I think item 3, 4 and 5 of the “Don´t do this” list apply in this case, AGAIN (sigh -> can be taken seriously, i´m off to bed).

LOL

I was the one that said that… in a comic (but not very) kind of way.

What I meant was that the chips are made thinking in a GL fashion. For example, scissor test being present in all hardware since RIVA (I suppose) even thought only exposed in DX9.

And I said before that the NV35 chips have “GL” carved on it. Not “D3D”…

I liked the “D3D is faster” part. Why can’t they be on the same level? Come on… first place for the two, OK? No more stupid sentences like “D3D is faster”…

Anyways, this thread was dead before it was even born. C++: (you have issues)

D3D does kernel mode switches much more frequently than OpenGL. Last I looked, kernel mode switches are expensive. If OpenGL is ever made to enter the kernel for each buffer set-up call, that’ll certainly slow it down tremendously.

C-- would have to be knackered wouldn’t it… (Just a guess)

5. If you continually make dumb arse post that are off topic, demonstrate a low level of intelligence and lack any semblance of relevance to this forum then you will be banned as soon as the Moderators are activated…

As far as I remember in games where you can decide which renderer you’ll use (OGL/DX), OGL is usually faster, though that depends much on written paths.

This thread stinks

No, the ‘c–’ pseudonym is nothing to do with me.
I’m just enjoying the show - well, I say enjoying, what I really mean is barely tolerating, well I say barely tolerating, what I really mean is vomiting in abject disgust.

[edit] spelt barely wrong (spelt it bearly)! incredible!

[This message has been edited by knackered (edited 07-01-2003).]

Hmm wonder who it is then…

Anyhoo - knackered needs a new smiley :blah:

Kind of like only without the smile…

Hello friends (although you`ve acted poorly with me earlier)!

Hello, my dear nasty friend-dude!

1) In reality, Direct3D - is much more lower level API (It isnt my invention and its a russians experts`s information).

Not to be a twaddler – name the experts, please!
Besides that, a couple of times i saw your comments at some other place – and they hardly made any sense to me. If you feel yourself confident about D3D – why not to find the right place to share your thoughts?

2) And OpenGL and Direct3D works through HAL drivers (So both are wrappers for HAL drivers).
As result, Direct3D works a bit faster than OpenGL…

We all know that, say, in ms-windows OS these both API’s are working through different driver interfaces, therefore if you’re up to compare them both from this point of view – that’s not fair.
In fact, D3D is OOP-based API, so at least you got some performance drop-down by this reason(assuming that other condidtions are equal of course; in reality they’re not though).

Of course D3D is not a wrapper that works through OpenGL …But make some fun out of the wrappers: if somebody noticed the thing about OpenAL in Jedi Outcast for example – that is a DirectSound wrapper actually!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=C%2B%2B+sucks
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=C%2B%2B+sucks&sa=N&tab=wg

Since so many international experts say C++ sucks, as a result, you suck.

C++,

it’s been months now you waste your time here.
You said you prefer D3D and Windows over everything else, so why don’t you try the Microsoft Public servers?

microsoft.public.directx.graphics

Just use directX and forget about this useless bull**** OpenGL. OK?

1. And OpenGL and Direct3D works through HAL drivers (So both are wrappers for HAL drivers).

Now that’s what i call pure logic. How do you conclude that D3D is faster than OpenGL since, from your own words, they’re wrapped to the same driver (hence, are doing the same thing) ? Please share…

Y.

V-man!
Thank You for “microsoft.public.directx.graphics”!

Others:
Yes, its good remark, M/\dm/ , OpenGL is really faster in games. Most of games primarily written under OpenGL, and D3D is secondary for them (Using OpenGL and +++ D3D is fashionable). Im using OpenGL in Counter-Strike (OGL faster in 1,5 times than D3D, but it`s because of bad programming. Look at Unreal (e.g. Tournament). Absolute same speeds and absolute same graphics (Because of good programming).).

You can manually manage resources in VIDEO/SYS memory or leave this work for D3D`s manager (for e.g., textures which uses by D3D frequently -> moving to VIDEO memory).

Probably D3D isnt faster than OGL, but has same performance. All depends on programming. Under D3D YOU can write program which works in 100 times slower than under OGL (!) if YOUll program as american monkey.

Please stop feeding the troll (C++).

What always puzzles me is why people (such as c++) are so concerned with minor performance differences, such as the possible difference between d3d & gl, when they so obviously have not done a project, or are not doing a project, that would in anyway benefit from such a small difference. The hobbiest programmers with their constant drip drip complaints and pointless questions about how to squeeze an extra 100 thousand tri’s per second out of their geforce2’s. Why do you care? It just looks like one-up-manship between you all.
You should be more concerned with how little functionality your ‘engines’ have, rather than such minor issues. Get into software design, start to have some ambition, instead of just writing, basically quake3 model viewers. Nobody is going to give you a job if all you can demonstrate is that you can use VAR to render an md3 model at some particular fps. Nor that you can parse a bsp file and do a front to back/back to front traversal.
It’s just not impressive enough.

C++, you big great programmer. We are the beginners (!!) and who use OpenGL. OpenGL slow(!!(!)) . You SMARTER all us (?) OpenGL monkeys. Please no more to bother us with your great knowledge.

I love this guy!!!

C++ must be the biggest comedian in Russia.