Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Download OpenGL v1.2, 1.3 or 1.4

Download OpenGL v1.2, 1.3 or 1.4

Where can i download the versin:
    OpenGL v1.2, 1.3 or 1.4 are included with the drivers for your OpenGL video cards.

I cannot find a link.

Please help!

Thanks

Junior Member Regular Contributor

Re: Download OpenGL v1.2, 1.3 or 1.4

You can't download OpenGL like it's the case with DirectX.
    It's included in your videocard's driver, so you should download the newest driver for your gfxcard for the latest OpenGL-Implementation.

And how can i get the latest openGL implementation???
    Originally posted by PanzerSchreck:
    You can't download OpenGL like it's the case with DirectX.
    It's included in your videocard's driver, so you should download the newest driver for your gfxcard for the latest OpenGL-Implementation.

Junior Member Regular Contributor

Can't read?
    I said that it's included in the drivers for your graphicscard.

And for what is openGL good?
    because somebody told me that i have to download this version.

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

Hi !

You shouldn't listen to people that tell you "what you have to do", if you don't have a clue why you need to download it you probably don't need it.

OpenGL is a 3D graphics API, many games use it, and also 3D modellers and CAD software, it is alos pretty common for screen savers and other vital things...

You already has OpenGL on all late versions of Windows (and Linux also), but it is usually software only rendering (slow), if you get drivers for your video card you may get hardware acceleration (much faster 3D graphics).

Hope that helps
    Mikael

Junior Member Newbie

Check out this article http://www.gamedev.net/reference/pro...atures/oglext/ . It should answer most of your questions.

Intern Newbie

If im correct Doom 3 used OpenGL2.0 right.... What does ID know the the public doenst know ??

I really like the OpenGL API, but i dont understand its SDK thing... cuz there is... there isnt... or its old but yet i see OpenGL demo's with effects that DX9 is just capable off.

Either OpenGL is more advanced the DX or im VERY confused

[This message has been edited by GL_ZERO (edited 08-25-2003).]

Junior Member Newbie

ID has more information because it's a part of ARB so they are developing OpenGL. But regarding to the latest decisions i don't think that D3 will need GL2. GL1.5 includes mostly the features, which should be implemented in GL2.

DX is not as often updatet than GL, because DX is a kind of layer over the Driver, GL instead is implemented in the driver itself so the vendors are able to implement new features directly via an extension. The problem is that it'S mostly vendor specific until ARB agrees on a extensions, which is not vendor specific, but this may take a while. You see, GL is much more quicker in using new technologies.

Back to the topic.
    You answered your question on your own, so why do you ask again?
    Bush is on a highway to hell with the whole world blind leading it straight into the flames of hell.

First of all ddraw,d3d ect. will only work on windows os. Opengl can run on other os. Dx is better in my opinion but if you want to make a game and port it to ther os dx is a bad choice so large game dev. can use opengl to its advantage to run on other os as long as they have g cards that are opengl suported. (example) After all assembly is more powerful then c\c++ but not as portable.