OpenGL Programming..

What exactly is required for OpenGL Programming? Is Microsoft Visual C++ 6 (Or some other Version) the only tool you can really use for OGL Programming?

I use gcc. I had to emerge a couple of things though.

Most C/C++ compilers out there today have openGL library’s and can be used to create an openGl program.

DEV-C++ by Bloodshed
Borland’s C/C++
Microsoft Visual C++

Also other languages have openGL support:
Java, Delphi, Basic, etc.

Originally posted by JangoFett:
What exactly is required for OpenGL Programming? Is Microsoft Visual C++ 6 (Or some other Version) the only tool you can really use for OGL Programming?

I’ve got Borland C++ 3.1 Would that work with any OpenGL Programming? But I never got it at all, Does Python support OpenGL Programming?

See http://pyopengl.sourceforge.net/ it seems very good, with documentation and examples.

I am not sure about borland C++ 3.1, but you can download like 5.0 or greater for free and it has openGL support.

Also you can download DEV-C++ by Blood Shed software for free. I have a link on my website for it www.angelfire.com/linux/nexusone/

Lot’s of people use DEV-C++ it has a nice GUI interface like Microsoft Visual C++.

C/C++ is the most used language for programming openGL.

Originally posted by JangoFett:
I’ve got Borland C++ 3.1 Would that work with any OpenGL Programming? But I never got it at all, Does Python support OpenGL Programming?

Thanks for the link Nexusone! It seems like a very good language for it.

By the way, can this Compile certaion MSVC Code? Theres a command for Importing a MSVC Project I was wondering if it can compile actual MSVC Code.

You can use the csgl dll’s for VB.NET or C#.NET.
------------------ CSGL OPENGL LIBRARY

If you go with C# / .NET you might consider Tao instead of csgl. It’s a newer version. (I’ve used both without any trouble.)

(Here’s the link, but I just noticed that the site seems to be under reconstruction right now: Tao )

Well, Most .NET stuff requires at least WinXP doesn’t it? I only have Windows98. :eek:

Are there any Programs made with Dev-C++ that have the Source avalible too? I’d like to see how to do afew things in it…

I use Borland C/C++ 5.01

You can also download the free 5.5 commandline tools from Borland.

To do OpenGL, you’re going to need the 5.5 version of OpenGL files and import32.lib.

I copied over from 5.5 command line tools to my Borland C/C++ 5.01 to update it.
import32.lib
bcc32.exe
implib.exe
make.exe
cpp32.exe
brc32.exe
brcc32.exe
OpenGl files

Compiles much faster code. Even faster the VC++. I’ve done speed tests.