Is GLUT development dead?

From the glut files I have, it seem like a long time since it was updated and the windows glut website has version 3.7 seems to have a bug in it…

I still don’t know why the windows bug where the program will not exit by pressing the [X] close window icon and stay resident in memory.

Is this bug only present in the windows version?

It may have something to do with your development environment. I use VC++ and haven’t experienced this problem at all.

From what I remember of previous posts, you use Dev-C++, right? Maybe the bug is something specific to that.

I also seem to recall someone saying that glut was no longer being developed. I could be wrong on that point, though. You might want to get the glut src code and see if you can track down the exact cause. Does this happen if you just create a window in Dev-C++ using the Win32 API?

Other than that, the only thing I can think of suggesting is to switch to something like SDL or GLFW for cross-platform capability. I haven’t used GLFW and only used SDL a little bit, but either might be a viable option for you.

Edit:
If you’d like, I could try compiling a simple glut app with just something like a single shaded triangle and see if that closes down correctly for you. If not, then it may be something specific to your computer setup.

[This message has been edited by Deiussum (edited 01-15-2003).]

No, if I create a standard windows API type code the works correctly.

I have tried glut with Lcc-win32 and DEV-C++, but have the close windows problem.
And the programs when run on other computers have the same problem.

I compile the programs as a windows program, could need to compile as a console program.

I have tried with just opening a window with glut, still get the same results.

Originally posted by Deiussum:
[b]It may have something to do with your development environment. I use VC++ and haven’t experienced this problem at all.

From what I remember of previous posts, you use Dev-C++, right? Maybe the bug is something specific to that.

I also seem to recall someone saying that glut was no longer being developed. I could be wrong on that point, though. You might want to get the glut src code and see if you can track down the exact cause. Does this happen if you just create a window in Dev-C++ using the Win32 API?

Other than that, the only thing I can think of suggesting is to switch to something like SDL or GLFW for cross-platform capability. I haven’t used GLFW and only used SDL a little bit, but either might be a viable option for you.

Edit:
If you’d like, I could try compiling a simple glut app with just something like a single shaded triangle and see if that closes down correctly for you. If not, then it may be something specific to your computer setup.

[This message has been edited by Deiussum (edited 01-15-2003).][/b]

The problem with the window not closing…I don’t think that’s a glut error. I made an OpenGL program in Windows XP using Win32 and set it to my friend who complained about the ‘x’ button not working. I didn’t use GLUT at all in that project.

And yeah I think that GLUT has been abandoned for the most part. There may be updates to it with OpenGL 2.0 coming out…but how knows. People still use it quite a bit though.

• Halcyon

Mark J. Kilgard (the man who created GLUT) has stopped the development, but since source code is available, some other ppl can continue it. I think that Nate Robins is the one who continued. He’s visiting the forums btw (not sure he’s visiting the beginners forum though). I think such request should be posted in the ‘OpenGL Toolkits’ forum.