Open GL for Windows XP

I have a Compaq Presario laptop with Win XP, Trident Cyberblade i1 card, 312 MB Ram, 600 MHz Celeron, and I’m trying to play Wolfenstein and MOHAA. When I had the same OpenGL subsystem error on my Desktop (Win 98, 400 MHz, 312 MB Ram, Matrox G200 card) I downloaded OpenGL Setup and updated the driver; this fixed everything. However, OpenGL doesn’t have a Win XP patch, and I updated my card’s driver. I have tried everything! I couldn’t find the DMA on win.ini, I tried deleting the gl files in the sytem32 folder, I tried updating the card with Nvidia stuff, didn’t work. I need help!!! Anybody?!?! I just wanna play my games!

Hello Patrick212,

What exactly are the problems you are having?

• VC6-OGL

Once I install MOHAA or Wolfenstein, it will begin to load up and then the famous “Could not load OpenGL subsystem” error pops up.

I am having the exact same problem. Patrick, how do I dl the setup and update the driver? I really need to know because this is pissing me off alot. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

guys, you’re not alone… I’ve the same problem… I also tried everything… I even went to www.compaq.com which then took me to the hp website. There you can “chat” with someone of compaq, and she said that my pc isn’t made in the USA… So what?!? It’s totally the same machine. The files on driverguide doesn’t work at all and everywhere you can find files for 98 Me 2000, but almost never for XP. The ones you do find doesn’t support openGL. So pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase, if anyone did find the good drivers for XP, please tell me! snake20@hotmail.com Many thanks! ( and when will compaq itself update it’s drivers?)

OK. If you have XP you cant use OpenGL.
You do have 2 alternatives. http://www.scitechsoft.com/products/enterprise/gld_home.html . This is the website for a program that allows Direct3D to run OpenGL programs. I hope that does not count as an advertisement.
You can also try to go through a simple to computer geeks, hard for the average Joe, process of installing a dual-boot operating system. In other words having Windows XP and Windows 98. You need 98 to run OpenGL.
If you have enough Hard drive space and a copy of 98 I recommend this.

If you dont have the cd but have money to spend I reccomend going and buying the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro. It is a great (but expensive) 3d accelerator card. You could also wait to buy the Geforce FX but I am not sure if the developers of OpenGL will be ready to release OpenGL for Windows XP yet.
Ati has already made sure that its 3d accelerator cards are OpenGL compatible. Dont worry, until I researched this problem even I a 15 year old computer geek did not realize the problem.
In the meantime you might want to spread the word that the Devs of OpenGL are in fact working on the issue. They do in fact get paid by SGI to do so. If they don’t find a way to make OpenGL XP compatible soon Direct3d might be the future of gaming again. As for power I would say that the OpenGL is better. But they are also underfunded and understaffed. Good luck to them, and to all of you gamers that took the time to read this.

Thanks,
Brach Janney

Ok guys, I had the same problem as anyone else, I remember someone saying to use the driver that came with the video card. I can’t agree more. All those things about refreshing, tweaking, changing things here and there, hey it might work, but give this a shot, it’ll asy that it might mess up some stuff bc XP wasn’t thoroughly tested for openGl, but it works. Good luck

Hi,
I just purchased a baseunit with xp pro installed (no cdrom disc tho). I tried to load up MOA AA game and it said that opengl problem like above.
Since I tried loading, (and it not working) I re-installed my Trident video, and now after I put a cdrom in the drive and installing any cdrom, the screen goes to the BIOS type look and says:
Disc (or CDRom I forgot) failure
Boot from disc

I then have to switch off the PC and restart to get xp back.

Any ideas what I can do to at least get the cdrom drive working properly again?

Thanks,
Simon

Hi, I use XP and I tried the SGI implementation of opengl with my radeon 7000 card, which I used the ICD drivers off of the ATI website, and it worked fine.
Good luck.

i got a Geforce2 DDR and i tried the SciTech fix and it looked like it was about to work unitll i got a new error “Can’t find suitable PixelFormat” any suggestions anyone?

Is my savior out there? I also have the same bugs when playing MOHAA. When its booting up, it says,“Could not load opengl subsystem.” It also says missing glide installation. I tried everything-from nvidia to opengl drivers but none worked. Pls. don’t tell me I just wasted over a hundred grand on a video card that doesn’t work! My God! I really can’t understand why WINDOWS XP and OPENGL have so much bugs.

Opengl, MOHAA, Windows XP-need help…incompatibility.
e-mail: virgofenix@yahoo.com

your not alone. I have the same problem

I am having a similar problem. I recently upgraded to a radeon 9500 pro. Now all my open gl games(which worked fine with my old gefroce 4 mx load up, play fine for a minute, then suffer what can only be described as a total graphics faliure. I have tried everything but have not been able to fix the problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Originally posted by Patrick212:
I have a Compaq Presario laptop with Win XP, Trident Cyberblade i1 card, 312 MB Ram, 600 MHz Celeron, and I’m trying to play Wolfenstein and MOHAA. When I had the same OpenGL subsystem error on my Desktop (Win 98, 400 MHz, 312 MB Ram, Matrox G200 card) I downloaded OpenGL Setup and updated the driver; this fixed everything. However, OpenGL doesn’t have a Win XP patch, and I updated my card’s driver. I have tried everything! I couldn’t find the DMA on win.ini, I tried deleting the gl files in the sytem32 folder, I tried updating the card with Nvidia stuff, didn’t work. I need help!!! Anybody?!?! I just wanna play my games!

Originally posted by Patrick212:

Hi, I have the same problem as anyone here,
I have the OpenGL patch, Kadir, but I do not know WHERE I PUT IT !!??!?

good luck to me and to all, and…

**** YOU ****ING OPENGL, **** YOU

Hey, Ive been trying to find the XP version of OpenGL and did a little research.From what i understand XP already has a version of the GL Setup and we shouldnt have to load it.When i start up soldier of fortune a window pops up and says "Non valid GLSetup rendering Environment"Ive downloaded GLSetup with the description that says they support XP but it only supports 95 and windows 98.Does this file really exist or is it just really hard to find?If any one figures out this problem please post how to fix it.

RTCW open GL problems solved. If you have a leadtek 64mb Ti ddr Nvidia use the original driver on the CD. I can E-mail others if they want it. Dont know that it will work for other Ti.

the same prob here i hate it ,all those good games i could play befor don’t work on XP
the odd thing is that a friend of mine has a compaq with XP professinal just like me and all thos good games work with him
i do know a lot of stuff from PC but when i installed openGl on XP under WIN98 compabillity i couldn’t open my configurations anymore please help me with those games