GLSETUP + nvidia drivers

Redgaring glsetup and nvidia reference drivers…If I already have nvidia reference drivers installed and everythings seems to running fine…is there a need for me to run glsetup?

What will running glsetup do to my current configuration? Will it irreversibly change anything? Is the opengl.dll file specific to the drivers already installed on my computer or does each program I install have it’s own version of opengl.dll…

Thanks a bunch
sip@vcn.bc.ca

Latest drivers are always nice to have. Newer drivers are generally faster and/or better (better=bugs fixed and similar), and this is always nice. Some updates even have newer features, like new extensions.

But if you think your current driver is more that enough, and you don’t have any problem at all with them, there are no major reason to update your driver.

opengl.dll (or the more common opengl32.dll from MS) is a file noone should touch. They contains functionpointers which points to all driverspecific functions. It works like a bridge to your driver. Noone should even ship it’s own verison of opengl(32).dll with their program. So don’t worry about that file.

Thanks Bob…
However…my real question is…

Whenever I install new beta versions of my video drivers from Creative or Nvidia…does doing this alone automatically upgrade my opengl drivers?

I don’t understand why there’s a need for something like glsetup when my video drivers are being constantly upgraded anyway…

If anyone can contribute, please do…

thanks

When installing the drivers from your card/chip manucfacturer, you genrally get both display drivers, DirectX and OpenGL drivers. All in either one package, or in a few separate packages for download. And doindg this will give you the latest drivers available.

GLSetup is just a program that detects your card, and install the proper driver for it. It contains several drivers for loads of different cards and chips. But running GLSetup is only to ensure you get the correct drivers for your card, and prevents you from accidently installing drivers for the wrong card/chip. Usefull if you are a beginner and don’t really know whar card/chip to install drivers for. So if you already installed the latest drivers from your manufacturer, running GLSetup is rendurant.