PDA

View Full Version : glVertexAttribIPointer and vectors

Kopelrativ
08-24-2012, 02:14 PM
I can't get glVertexAttribIPointer to work with shader inputs of type ivec3.

If I do glVertexAttribIPointer(0, 1, GL_BYTE, stride, offset), it works fine with a shader input variable declared as "int". But when I do glVertexAttribIPointer(0, 3, GL_BYTE, stride, offset), I can't get it to work with shader type "ivec3".

What am I missing?

A related question is using the following combined with "vec3" and "float", respectively:

glVertexAttribPointer(0, 3, GL_BYTE, GL_FALSE, stride, offs);
glVertexAttribPointer(3, 1, GL_BYTE, GL_FALSE, stride, offs);

The second line will generate a warning, but not the first.

glDrawArrays uses input attribute 'VERTEX_ATTRIB[3]' which is specified as 'type = GL_BYTE size = 1'; this combination is not a natively supported input attribute type.

That is, if I change GL_BYTE of the second statement to GL_FLOAT, there will be no warnings. The problem can't be GL_BYTE, can it? As it is accepted by the first example. The byte with the specific problem is located at an even 4-byte border, and if I move it I will also get a warning about non-optimal alignment. I am using AMD with OpenGL 4.2.

Lazy Foo'
08-24-2012, 02:27 PM
I'm guessing that it that your GPU doesn't like byte vectors. I know some GPU technically support double precision, but it will be slow because it will convert them to floats on the fly.

Any particular reason you 8bit vector attributes?

Kopelrativ
08-24-2012, 02:36 PM
I'm guessing that it that your GPU doesn't like byte vectors. I know some GPU technically support double precision, but it will be slow because it will convert them to floats on the fly.

Any particular reason you 8bit vector attributes?
I have very large amount of data, so I need to pack it as efficiently as possible.

By the way, I found that the warning is there as defining a vector of 3 bytes is ok, but 1 or 2 bytes give the warning. I can accept that, but I find it hard to believe it is a bug in the AMD driver to not allow ivec3? Or am I using something unspecified?

Alfonse Reinheart
08-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Define "does not work."

thokra
08-25-2012, 01:53 AM
Or am I using something unspecified?

As far as the spec goes it's correct. Does anything change if you switch to glVertexAttribIPointer()?

How do you calculate stride and offset?