PDA

View Full Version : gl_FragCoord.y always 0

cireneikual
07-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Hello,

I wrote a shader that needs to obtain texture coordinates from screen coordinates, but gl_FragCoord's y coordinate is always 0.
x, z, and w are fine. As a result, I get lines going up and down the screen.

What could be the cause of this?

Thank for any help you can offer.

cireneikual
07-22-2012, 03:55 AM
Restarted my computer and now it works. What is going on here?

EDIT: Never mind, it came back on the second run of the program.

Ilian Dinev
07-22-2012, 04:48 AM
How do you check the value of y, what gpu and drivers are you using, can you reproduce it on another platform?
(it looks like a driver bug)

cireneikual
07-25-2012, 02:50 AM
I checked the value by discarding fragments with a y of 0. The problem went away when I did that. I found that it was not actually always 0, but 0 for fragments where it shouldn't be. It is almost as if it were drawing multiple passes, one normal, one stretched (with all y frag coords 0). However, it is just one quad, and even if I were rendering multiple passes, the frag coords shouldn't change. So discarding the fragments with a y of 0 got rid of the 1 pixel tall stretched image covering up the regular image.

This does not work:

vec4 diffuseFinal = vec4(texture2D(effectCopy, gl_FragCoord.xy) / vec2(800, 600)).rgb, 1.0) * diffuseColor;

But this does:

if(gl_FragCoord.y == 0)
discard;

vec4 diffuseFinal = vec4(texture2D(effectCopy, gl_FragCoord.xy) / vec2(800, 600)).rgb, 1.0) * diffuseColor;

kRogue
07-25-2012, 05:18 AM
you know that gl_FragCoord.xy is the _pixel_ coordinate right? Also, what fractional value it gives depends on GL state (see: http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/manglsl/xhtml/gl_FragCoord.xml ). I think you do know that frag is a window coordinate, as you have a /vec2(800, 600) in the code, but the location is borked, I think the code should read:

vec4 diffuseFinal = vec4( texture2D(effectCopy, gl_FragCoord.xy/vec2(800, 600)).rgb, 1.0) * diffuse

as a side note you'd really be better off doing the following for readability:

vec2 tex_coord;
vec3 color;

tex_coord=gl_FragCoord.xy/vec2(800.0, 600.0);
color = texture2D( effectCopy, tex_coord).rgb;

diffuseFinal = vec4(color.rgb, 1.0);

cireneikual
07-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Opps, copied it incorrectly. The way you show it is how I also did it in the shader. There was an offset applied to the texture coordinates originally (but I did test it without the offset as well, so that is not the problem), which I removed for clarity.

The fractional value is OK, when it gives it to me at all.