PDA

View Full Version : What's meant by shading

AeroSujan
09-27-2011, 05:19 AM
Dear Friends
I have created a surface from a 2D profile by revolving the profile points with respect to x-axis by intermittently from 0 to 360 degrees. And I get a full 360 degree surface of revolutions. Now I am setting the color as red.
I am now asked to shade the model. What does it mean by shading. exactly what i have to do now. Can anyone explain shading thanks lot. sujan

Alfonse Reinheart
09-27-2011, 01:47 PM
There's no way to know what was meant by "shading" without some form of context for the discussion. It could mean a lot of things.

ZeppelinDestruction
09-27-2011, 02:49 PM
When someone refers to shading, it usually refers to the use of a surface shader which is a program that ranges over scene objects to calculate the color of each pixel based on how light is interacting with the surface. It's sort of analogous to a material in most 3D modelling programs.

You can also use shaders to calculate things other than colour, such as how much a surface is displaced or how to map a texture to the surface.

That's pretty much how I understand shading. Others might be able to elaborate or correct me. :)