PDA

View Full Version : How prone is Intel to updating their graphics driv

eileen11
08-23-2011, 08:06 PM
I have a sandy bridge i5 2410m(which has an integrated gpu gma hd 2000/3000), and the most recent version of opengl it supports is 3.0(not new enough to run Brink). I want to know if there is any chance that Intel will update the driver(and add support for opengl 3.1).

BionicBytes
08-24-2011, 01:59 AM
Intel, in my experience, never realease updated OpenGL drivers for their products. From time to (rare) time they may bring out a slightly newer driver for Direct X, but don't hold your breath for an update to OpenGL.
Intel are more likely to update their OpenGL levels when they bring out a newer product rather than add it to existing h/w.
Perhaps a lack of OpenGL certification or conformance testing is a reason for this. Microsoft offer a driver certification process which you can bet includes a portion of Direct 3D.

PkK
09-08-2011, 01:45 PM
The drivers get updated all the time and developers are responsive to bug reports.

I use GNU/Linux. From what is written on these forums the situation is different for Windows. I do not know about the update frequency with other operating systems such as Free BSD.

Edit: However in spite of frequent driver updates 3.1 support will probably not arrive before the end of the year.