PDA

View Full Version : Is GL_EXTENSIONS working properly?

AlexRNL
05-04-2011, 06:19 AM
Hi guys!

I'm working with OpenGL for some time now and I've run into a strange issue...

I've made a java program that uses OpenGL (with JOGL binding) and shaders with GLSL. It is working fine on my computer but, when I tried it on another one, the shaders didn't work at all :( ! Although I am checking if the extensions listed here (http://www.opengl.org/wiki/OpenGL_Shading_Language) are available on the computer.
After a bit of investigation, the 4 extensions were actually in the string returned by GL_EXTENSIONS and there was nothing in the compilation/linking log of the shaders, everything seemed to be fine... but still nothing could be seen :mad: !

It was running on a quite recent computer (W7 x64) so I didn't think to it earlier... but it worked when I updated the driver of the video card.

So my problem is that the extensions didn't seem to be properly "detected" when I retrieve GL_EXTENSIONS... I would be glad to known a way to be sure that the shaders can be used on the current machine. Do you guys have any idea?

V-man
05-04-2011, 02:12 PM
If after updating the video driver things work (and assuming you haven't changed your program), then it might be a driver problem. I say "might" because it is common to have buggy code that causes undefined behavior.

It becomes the responsibility of the end-user to update system drivers if it is a driver problem.

AlexRNL
05-06-2011, 06:32 AM
My program was the same before/after the driver update...

And I can't imagine that I have "buggy code" on that part, it's merely 7 "easy" lines...

I wish extensions would be detected properly, the target computers may not have easy internet access and therefore have some difficulties to update their drivers.

Thanks for your answer anyway!

V-man
05-06-2011, 12:42 PM
What do you mean when you say that you wish extensions would be properly detected? GL doesn't detect extensions. It just returns a string.

AlexRNL
05-10-2011, 05:47 AM
What do you mean when you say that you wish extensions would be properly detected? GL doesn't detect extensions. It just returns a string.

Oups... Must have be tired at the time...

Anyway, that is strange that the string returned (by the driver's dll I assume) is not correct...

I have to find another computer on which I can reproduce that! :D