PDA

View Full Version : Blend selected color components?

Tom Sharpless
11-16-2010, 07:27 AM
Is it possible for a fragment shader to modify just one of r,g,b in the color buffer (using alpha blending) without disturbing the other 2?

ZbuffeR
11-16-2010, 08:52 AM
Not in the fragment shader.
MAybe with programmable blending ?

Try this instead :
http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/man/xhtml/glColorMask.xml

aqnuep
11-16-2010, 09:17 AM
Besides ColorMask you have other options with newer GPUs that are more flexible:

1. You can use dual source blending: GL_ARB_blend_func_extended (http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/ARB/blend_func_extended.txt)
2. You can use limited programmable blending: GL_NV_texture_barrier (http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/NV/texture_barrier.txt)

Of course, the simplest way is still ColorMask but if you would need more complicated blending techniques then this may come handy.

Tom Sharpless
11-16-2010, 12:00 PM
I don't think ColorMask is what I want. It is documented as a property of the framebuffer, not the texture unit. What I want to do is essentially multitexturing from a single texture image, using a different set of TCs for each color component to correct chromatic aberration in photographic images. The idea is to get speed by using 3 texture units in parallel to do the 3 texture lookups.

Of course I could take 3 passes, each with a different TC pointer and ColorMask. I suppose that would be slower; but I'll do it if I have to. Or use a frag shader that does 3 texture lookups and assembles the corrected pixel; but that too would run the lookups in series rather than parallel, as I understand it.

Aqnuep, how would you use dual-source blending?

I don't see how NV_texture_barrier could help. It seems to allow rendering to and from a texture buffer at the same time; but if I were to write ca-corrected data back to the texture it would overwrite data needed later. And the lookups might still not be parallelized.

david_f_knight
11-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Am I missing something? I don't see why you need to blend anything to do what you want. (Your comment that ColorMask isn't the solution you seek because it is a property of the framebuffer seems to confirm that. Blending is a property of the framebuffer, as well.) And I don't see how you can avoid three texture lookups (because each requires its own texture coordinates).

Why not just do something like:
color.r = texture (photo, vec2 (txt.x+redx, txt.y+redy)).r;
color.g = texture (photo, vec2 (txt.x+greenx, txt.y+greeny)).g;
color.b = texture (photo, vec2 (txt.x+bluex, txt.y+bluey)).b;
color.a = 1.0;

You cannot blend a pixel fragment with a pixel fragment located at different address in the framebuffer. So you need to correct for the chromatic aberration shift in the fragment shader, not in the framebuffer.

ZbuffeR
11-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Or use a frag shader that does 3 texture lookups and assembles the corrected pixel; but that too would run the lookups in series rather than parallel, as I understand it
But this is totally doable !
You just need 1 texture sampler, and 3 different interpolated texcoords.
Not sure what you have in mind to do more parallel than this anyway...

EDIT: david was faster

Tom Sharpless
11-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks, both.

Blending in the fb is just a requirement of the application, unrelated to ca correction.

A shader with 3 lookup calls against different samplers should be exercising 3 different hardware texture units; so the 3 interpolations might in principle run in parallel. However whether they do is up to the OGL implementation, and might depend on just how the shader is coded. I was hoping to find a method guaranteed to run the 3 texture interpolations in parallel.

I shall have to compare the 3-pass and the one-shader-3-calls ways, to see if there is any real speed difference. Of course the 3-pass will work on many more systems, so may finally be preferred even if there is a faster way on recent h/w.

ZbuffeR
11-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Since the Nvidia TNT (TwiN Texel) introduced in 1998, the hardware is able to sample multiple textures at the same time...

So it will work 3 times faster, and for practically all hardware you can find.

Alfonse Reinheart
11-16-2010, 03:13 PM
A shader with 3 lookup calls against different samplers should be exercising 3 different hardware texture units

Don't out-think the hardware. Don't expect the hardware to be faster at accessing three 1D textures than it will accessing 1 3D texture.

Since the Nvidia TNT (TwiN Texel) introduced in 1998, the hardware is able to sample multiple textures at the same time...

The TNT did not access two textures at a time. It could access two textures per rendered triangle, but this required 2x the time as accessing one texel.

It wasn't until the GeForce 4 days if not later that you could expect multiple texture accesses to occur simultaneously.

ZbuffeR
11-16-2010, 03:33 PM
The TNT did not access two textures at a time. It could access two textures per rendered triangle, but this required 2x the time as accessing one texel.
After some reading: it DID access two textures at a time. But the double texture mapping engine was also able to do single texturing twice faster.

Anyway, doing 2 separate passes blended together would still be slower than one dual-textured pass, right ?

Alfonse Reinheart
11-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Anyway, doing 2 separate passes blended together would still be slower than one dual-textured pass, right ?

Yes. The main gains were in not having to do the triangle setup for the second pass and not having to use blending to combine multiple textures.

aqnuep
11-17-2010, 07:45 AM
Aqnuep, how would you use dual-source blending?

If you would like to blend only e.g. the R and the B components of the color to the framebuffer, just output the following colors in your fragment shader:

color0 = your_normal_output_color;
color1 = vec4(alpha_factor, 0.0, alpha_factor, 0.0);

And in the API set blend function in the following way:

glBlendFunc(GL_SRC1_COLOR, ONE_MINUS_SRC1_COLOR);

And that's all. However, as I know it is only available since Shader Model 4.1 GPUs.

Alfonse Reinheart
11-17-2010, 01:18 PM
However, as I know it is only available since Shader Model 4.1 GPUs.

Dual source is available in any 3.x hardware. It's core in 3.3.

aqnuep
11-18-2010, 06:16 AM
Sorry, my mistake, then it's for Shader Model 4.0 GPUs (OpenGL 3.3).
I think I confused it with ARB_draw_buffers_blend as that is SM 4.1 stuff but only available in OpenGL 4.0.

Alfonse Reinheart
11-18-2010, 06:24 AM
I think I confused it with ARB_draw_buffers_blend as that is SM 4.1 stuff but only available in OpenGL 4.0.

The reason ARB_draw_buffers_blend existed as an extension before GL 4.0 is because ATI's 3.x hardware could handle it. Similarly, it could do texture gather. So any HD-series card would be able to do either of these.

Tom Sharpless
11-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Is it only in dual-source that one can apply separate alpha values to the components of a color?

aqnuep
11-20-2010, 04:39 AM
No, you could use the built-in CONSTANT_COLOR as the blend factor but then you could have separate blending factor values only on a per-draw call basis. If you need to be able to modify the blending factors within your shaders then dual-source blending is the only way.