PDA

View Full Version : GLSL IDE for MacOS

Karim Kenawy
07-30-2010, 02:17 AM
Hi there,

I know this topic was discussed a lot before, but without any solutions founds. Isn't there any descent GLSL IDE for the mac? I'm talking about autocomplete, highlighting, scene manipulation, debugging ... etc
Either no one thought to make one for mac or someone is supposed to but is too lazy to do it. If no one thought about it before (which I doubt) I suggest making one :D , I'm a normal software engineer (no guru skills) but I offer my help to any one interested (some experienced guys).

ravage
07-30-2010, 07:08 AM
It didn't take long to find one and apple actually has it's own. There are others but check this:

check this tutorial (http://kevincathey.com/school/opengl-on-the-mac-part-2-building-glsl-shaders/)

It explains where to download it and how to set it up. I think it goes over a little tutorial to show you how to use it. I think this glsl ide is most likely limited to glsl 1.2(opengl 2.1) but better than nothing it shouldn't be hard to convert it to a higher version of glsl.

Karim Kenawy
07-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Thanks for reply,
Yes, I know about Mac's OpenGL Shader Builder and it is the only one available, thats why I posted my post. OpenGL Shader Builder is too limited, no autocomplete, you can't manipulate the scene, syntax highlighting is silly, it is too basic. I was hoping to find something like Nvidia FX Composer on Windows for HLSL.

ravage
07-30-2010, 02:13 PM
I think your best bet is to use shader builder. I found one called lumina that says it works with mac but I don't think it's that much better.

Lumina: (may need to be compiled)
link (http://lumina.sourceforge.net/Home.html)

heres a thread that went into more about the state of a glsl debugger and ide.
here (http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=270139)

It kinda sucks that there seems to be a lack of a glsl ide with debugging for free but I think most of us read what comes out of glshaderlog and have the glsl spec open to reference. As for debugging, isolating the problem into a rendertexture to see what going on I think may be the norm or something to that degree.

Karim Kenawy
07-31-2010, 09:30 AM
Yes, I guess you are right. I tried to compile Lumina before, but I failed, I'll try again and will post any successful results I reach, anyway, thanks for sharing info.

Ottaz
10-04-2010, 11:21 AM
I need help with finding a GLSL IDE for the mac. I have Qt 4.7 installed.

I've downloaded both Lumina and Shader Maker. I actually found an executable file for Shader Maker but the program freezes when it loads.

Lumina... I have no idea how to install it. It comes with source files that I've tried to put together in Xcode with the neccessary frameworks and I still get thousands of errors. The readme says something about qmake and make?? Why dont they just include an executable file that you simply click on and it opens?

I suppose for now I'm stuck with the Shader Builder provided in /Developer/Applications...

happycactus
12-13-2010, 03:55 AM
Lumina... I have no idea how to install it. It comes with source files that I've tried to put together in Xcode with the neccessary frameworks and I still get thousands of errors. The readme says something about qmake and make?? Why dont they just include an executable file that you simply click on and it opens?

I suppose for now I'm stuck with the Shader Builder provided in /Developer/Applications...

I have been able to compile lumina on macosx 10.6.3.
First unpack the source package.
You have to modify the qmake project and correct a bug in a source file.

in the lumina.pro file, remove the three lines that begins with "unix:".
In the src/glwrapper_shader.cpp, change the "int" to "GLint" variable on line 185 (if I remember correctly... see the error line).
Then run qmake to create the makefiles, make and make install

qmake -spec macx-g++
make
make install

or you can run it without installing

open lumina.app/

hope that helps...

Jaymz
02-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Is there no other GLSL shader IDE for Mac OSX ? This sux big time and I cannot believe it :(