PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL, GLUT on Vista 64, Visual C++ Express

1wretch
12-27-2009, 09:05 AM
I had a small program OpenGL, GLUT that worked fine on my Windows XP machine in Visual C++ Express. Copied over to my Vista 64 laptop and now compiles OK but I get a "glut32.dll" not found when I try to run it. Is there a good website or tutorial which explains how to get OpenGL/GLUT running on Vista 64. What do I need to download etc... ??? Does anyone have some sample OpenGL/GLUT code that works for them on Vista / VC++ Express? What did you specify in VC++ and what files need to be in what folders?

sammie381
12-27-2009, 07:32 PM
GLUT doesn't come with your C/C++ compiler. Get it here:
http://www.xmission.com/~nate/glut.html

Just copy the .dll to your program's directory.

btw, if your program is 32-bit, then it shouldn't matter what OS you're running.

1wretch
12-28-2009, 10:49 AM
I tried your suggestions, downloaded a fresh set of GLUT files from your link, and yet I still get the runtime unresolved. Very strange. Are you running VISTA for your OpenGL applications? I've never liked VISTA and though OS should not matter, I don't trust it. Like i said, the exact same code works fine on XP.

Very frustrating...

1wretch
12-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Actually, the link mentions recompiling GLUT source for some machines. Does anyone know how to do that? I think it might need that, since when I try to run

regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\glut32.dll

I get an error. I also put it in the program directory, but maybe the dll does not work as is on Vista and needs to be built on the vista machine?

sammie381
12-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Copied over to my Vista 64 laptop and now compiles...

Are you compiling a 32-bit or 64-bit program? You never said. Those dlls won't work a program compiled for 64-bit.