PDA

View Full Version : How to place texture on the surface of the cylinde

shivukumar
11-30-2009, 01:46 AM
Hi Sir,

i am newbie to openGL, i created cylinder using openGL function gluCylinder(myQuad, 0.5, 0.5, 3.0, 24, 8);

but i am not getting how to place multiple textures on the surface of the cylinder.

please guide me... any answer is valuable..

Regards
Shivukumar

Aleksandar
11-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Everything will be much easier if you create a cylinder on your own and define texture coordinates during vertex-definition.

Other, much harder way is automatic texture-coordinate generation.
Reference: OpenGL Programming Guide 6th Edition, pg.434-443 (Automatic Texture-Coordinate generation), and pg.443-449 (Multitexturing).

shivukumar
11-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Thank You Sir.

let you know after reading OpenGL Programming Guide.

shivukumar
12-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Hi Sir,

I followed NeHe tutorial for creating Cylinder.
and i tried to place images as texture on the surface of the cylinder, but i am unable to do that.

Please help me, any valuable answer is appreciated.

Regards
Shivukumar

Aleksandar
12-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Which tutorial? What's wrong?
Give us some more details.
And take a look at NeHe's Lesson 23
Sphere Mapping Quadrics In OpenGL.

shivukumar
12-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Hi Sir,

Thanks for your reply.
I downloaded the program which is there in NeHe's lesson 23(Game Glut code), but i am getting an error as below :

Error :

user@lxdevenv:~/Temp/sample/lesson23/lesson23$ g++ lesson23.cpp -o lesson23 -I/usr/x11R6/include/ -L/usr/lib -lX11 -lXmu -lglut -lGL -lGLU
lesson23.cpp:55: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before * token.

What exactly it means ?

and is it necessary to learn Adobe's Photoshop program to create Sphere in lesson-23, because i think, in this lesson they use photoshop program.

please Help me Sir. waiting for your reply.

Regards
Shivukumar.

ZbuffeR
12-03-2009, 04:05 AM
This kind of compile error may be due to missing includes, are you sure they are present in /usr/x11R6/include/ ?

Instead of photoshop, you may use The Gimp, the Glass effect / apply lens is close to the spherize tool used in the tutorial.

shivukumar
12-06-2009, 11:45 PM
Hi Sir,

Thanks for your reply.

how to place images on the surface of the cylinder using libjpeg libraries ?

i am not getting how to place images on the object, requesting you to help me out from this problem.
I goggled it, but i dint get the correct information about it.

waiting for your reply Sir.

Thanking You.