PDA

View Full Version : nVidia OpenGL 3.2 drivers

Andrew Cross
08-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Fellow OpenGL users,

I am trying to use the new nVidia 3.2 drivers and simply cannot make them work the moment I specify :

const int attribs[] = {
WGL_CONTEXT_MAJOR_VERSION_ARB, 3,
WGL_CONTEXT_MINOR_VERSION_ARB, 2, 0, 0 };

The device is created properly, can be selected, etc... however even the most basic functions like :

glPixelStorei( GL_PACK_ALIGNMENT, 1 );

fail, causing glGetError() to return GL_INVALID_ENUM. The moment I specify the minor version as "1" then things work just as expected.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Andrew

MarkS
08-11-2009, 10:18 PM
My guess is that it was depreciated in 3.0 or 3.1 and removed in 3.2. Can't verify that since I cannot find a list of depreciated functions anywhere...

Simon Arbon
08-11-2009, 11:22 PM
MarkS:
http://www.khronos.org/files/opengl-quick-reference-card.pdf Shows all of the removed functions in blue.
glPixelStore has NOT been depreciated or removed.

Andrew Cross:
A 3.2 context requires an additional attribute to specify the profile.
Either:
WGL_CONTEXT_PROFILE_MASK_ARB, WGL_CONTEXT_CORE_PROFILE_BIT_ARB,
or
WGL_CONTEXT_PROFILE_MASK_ARB, WGL_CONTEXT_COMPATIBILITY_PROFILE_BIT_ARB,

Aleksandar
08-12-2009, 11:01 AM
WGL_CONTEXT_PROFILE_MASK_ARB is not required, because according to spec, default value is WGL_CONTEXT_CORE_PROFILE_BIT_ARB. That means GL 3.2 should create a Core profile if this flag is not set.

There is some other problem. I've tried to create context as Andrew Cross created and it works. Even a glPixelStorei( GL_PACK_ALIGNMENT, 1 ); does not generate an error.

int attribs[] =
{
WGL_CONTEXT_MINOR_VERSION_ARB, 2,
};

m_hrc = wglCreateContextAttribsARB(pDC->m_hDC,0, attribs);

Andrew Cross
08-12-2009, 08:03 PM
You are absolutely correct, I do seem to be able to create the device and execute basic functions however I seem to get glError's the moment I make almost any other call. I am going to assume that this is something in our library code somewhere although I was unaware that any functionality had been depreciated between 3.1 and 3.2.

Andrew

Andrew Cross
08-12-2009, 08:25 PM
I forgot to thank you very much for your help on this issue. I really do appreciate you taking the time to look into other people's potentially stupid problems :)

I have tracked down this issue a bit and wanted to see if anyone else sees this. If you create a 3.2 device and simple execute this call :

/* Create 3.2 device here ... */

glEnableClientState( GL_VERTEX_ARRAY );
assert( glGetError() == GL_NO_ERROR );

Simon Arbon
08-12-2009, 09:08 PM
glEnableClientState is not valid in a 3.2 core profile.
You must specify the compatability profile if you want to use this function, or any other function that is shown in blue on the Quick Reference Card (http://www.khronos.org/files/opengl-quick-reference-card.pdf).

const int attribs[] = {
WGL_CONTEXT_MINOR_VERSION_ARB, 2,
WGL_CONTEXT_PROFILE_MASK_ARB, WGL_CONTEXT_COMPATIBILITY_PROFILE_BIT_ARB, 0, 0 };