PDA

View Full Version : Texture mapping not working?

draftomatic
04-11-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm just getting started learning texture mapping and I can't for the life of me figure out why my texture isn't showing up on screen. Here are the calls I make after loading the bitmap into sprite1 (char[]):

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 1);
glPixelStorei(GL_UNPACK_ALIGNMENT, 1);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_REPEAT);
glTexParameteri (GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_REPEAT);
glTexParameteri (GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
glTexParameteri (GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
glTexEnvf(GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE, GL_MODULATE);
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_BGRA_EXT, sprite1[18], sprite1[22], 0, GL_BGRA_EXT, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, &sprite1[54]);

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 1);
glBegin(GL_QUADS);
glTexCoord2f (0.0, 0.0);
glVertex2f (0.0, 0.0);
glTexCoord2f (1.0, 0.0);
glVertex2f (1.0, 0.0);
glTexCoord2f (1.0, 1.0);
glVertex2f (1.0, 1.0);
glTexCoord2f (0.0, 1.0);
glVertex2f (0.0, 1.0);
glEnd();

I have done glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D).

This is how I set up my matrices before drawing:

glViewport(0, 0, width, height);
glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
glLoadIdentity();
glOrtho(-1.0, 1.0, -1, 1, .1, 10);
glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
glLoadIdentity();

trinitrotoluene
04-11-2009, 04:48 PM
I think you gave the wrong internal format for glTexImage2D (http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/man/xhtml/glTexImage2D.xml). Try with GL_RGBA8.

zeoverlord
04-11-2009, 04:56 PM
it could be any of a handful of problems.

#1 check if the polygon is being drawn, if it is it should be either white (depending a bit on the color you set) or textured.

#2 glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 1);.
While it might work sometimes, it is an undefined behavior according to the api, you need to generate a texturename to make sure it works.

#3 is your color set to white

#4 make sure your coordinates are within the z-near/z-far range, in your case i would set the z coordinate to 5.0f using glVertex3f instead of glVertex2f.

I hope this points you in the right direction

draftomatic
04-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the help, but I tried all of your advice and still no dice. The polygon is being drawn (you were right, I was drawing it white before), but now it's not textured, just a solid color.

I use glGenTextures to get my tex name, but I notice it doesn't change texName1; this GLuint is whatever I initialize it to, even after the call to glGenTextures...

Heres the new code:

GLuint texName1 = 0;

glGenTextures(1, &texName1);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texName1);
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_BGRA_EXT, sprite1[18], sprite1[22], 0, GL_BGRA_EXT, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, &sprite1[54]);

glColor3f(1, 1, 0);
glBegin(GL_QUADS);
glTexCoord2f (0.0, 0.0);
glVertex3f (0.0, 0.0, -5.0f);
glTexCoord2f (1.0, 0.0);
glVertex3f (.5, 0.0, -5.0f);
glTexCoord2f (1.0, 1.0);
glVertex3f (.5, .5, -5.0f);
glTexCoord2f (0.0, 1.0);
glVertex3f (0.0, .5, -5.0f);
glEnd();

Also, @trinitrotoluene, I have had success using GL_BGRA_EXT with glDrawPixels (same bitmap too), so I'm confident this is correct.

trinitrotoluene
04-13-2009, 12:29 PM
I have tried GL_BGRA_EXT as internal format for glTexImage2D and it doesn't work with Mesa 7.4 software renderer. I have tried GL_BGRA_EXT for glDrawPixels and it work. So GL_BGRA_EXT don't seem to work for internal format. Try this

glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D,0,GL_RGBA8/*GL_BGRA_EXT*/,2,2,0,GL_BGRA_EXT,GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE,&texData[0]);

Also, @trinitrotoluene, I have had success using GL_BGRA_EXT with glDrawPixels (same bitmap too), so I'm confident this is correct.

You are too much confident! :)

draftomatic
04-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Okay, maybe I'm too confident, but GL_RGBA8 still doesn't work.

There must be something wrong with my glGenTextures call since it's not assigning me a texture name.

Also, my texture bitmap is 29x20 pixels. The width and height are stored in the bitmap at sprite1[18] and sprite1[22] respectively (see Wikipedia entry for bitmap file format (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMP_file_format))

Ilian Dinev
04-13-2009, 09:10 PM
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_BGRA_EXT, sprite1[18], sprite1[22], 0, GL_BGRA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, &sprite1[54]);

Try with procedurally-generated bitmaps first:

int size=32;
int *bitmap=new int[size*size];
for(int i=0;i<size*size;i++)bitmap[i]=0xCCBBAAFF;

I actually get GL_RGBA8:GL_BGRA:GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE to work fine for me (makes the driver shuffle bytes before upload).

trinitrotoluene
04-14-2009, 07:37 AM
Are you calling these functions in your drawing function ?

glGenTextures(1, &amp;texName1);
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGBA8, sprite1[18], sprite1[22], 0, GL_BGRA_EXT, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, &amp;sprite1[54]);

If yes, move these in an "init" function to make sure you don't call genTextures and TexImage2D multiple times for the same texture.

BigDave
04-14-2009, 07:52 AM
Also, my texture bitmap is 29x20 pixels.

Try changing the bitmap to something like 32x32 or 64x64 (even if it is just to test) - some gfx cards prefer power of 2 textures, and while some will render anyway, I'm not sure all will.

draftomatic
04-18-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm at a loss. Here's everything I've tried:

1. Turns out I was initializing my texture before OGL was initialized. The texture is initialized (glGenTextures->glTexImage2D) in a class constructor and drawn (glBegin->glEnd) in a member function that is called every frame. genTextures appears to be working correctly now and I'm getting a name of 1.

2. Every possible combination of GL_RGBA8, GL_BGRA_EXT (GL_BGRA doesn't work on my system; I need the _EXT), and I even removed the alpha channel from the bitmap and tried all combinations of GL_RGB, GL_BGR_EXT, etc etc. No luck.

3. Tried procedurally creating a bitmap and using that

4. Made sure GL_COLOR_MATERIAL isn't enabled.

5. Changed bitmap size to 32x32.

6. Tried glTexEnvi instead of glTexEnvf.