PDA

View Full Version : createing framebufferobject (fbo)

lobbel
04-07-2009, 04:23 AM
Hello,
i have a question about creating a fbo.
Do i always have to create a renderbuffer as well ?
I mean i've created a framebuffer (glGenFramebuffers()) and attached a texture to it. But in a lot of tutorials they also create a renderbuffer (glGenRendebuffers()) as well and the call
glFramebufferRenderbufferEXT.

best regards,
lobbel

scratt
04-07-2009, 05:12 AM
This is a good tutorial in my view..
http://www.songho.ca/opengl/gl_fbo.html

There are two types of framebuffer-attachable images; texture images and renderbuffer images. If an image of a texture object is attached to a framebuffer, OpenGL performs "render to texture". And if an image of a renderbuffer object is attached to a framebuffer, then OpenGL performs "offscreen rendering".

By the way, renderbuffer object is a new type of storage object defined in GL_EXT_framebuffer_object extension. It is used as a rendering destination for a single 2D image during rendering process.

In addition, renderbuffer object is newly introduced for offscreen rendering. It allows to render a scene directly to a renderbuffer object, instead of rendering to a texture object. Renderbuffer is simply a data storage object containing a single image of a renderable internal format. It is used to store OpenGL logical buffers that do not have corresponding texture format, such as stencil or depth buffer.

lobbel
04-07-2009, 07:31 AM
Hmm, thank you. I know this tutorial. Well im a little bit confused. In
http://download.nvidia.com/developer/presentations/2005/GDC/OpenGL_Day/OpenGL_FrameBuffer_Object.pdf

they create both. a renderbuffer a framebuffer and a texture. and also in the nvidia example simple_glow, they create a renderbuffer as well. although they dont need in. Well I guess that they dont
need it. som im confused. Lets assume i want to create a multipass shader, so i have to draw the result from the first pass into a texture. So creating a framebuffer and attaching a texture should be enough, right ?

Greetings
lobbel

BionicBytes
04-08-2009, 02:16 AM
yep (Framebuffer + texture attachment) that is the minimum you usually need. You add a render buffer when you want the FBO to include other Window like attributes - such as a depth buffer or perhaps a stencil buffer. If you are rendering to a 2D screen, then you won't have the need for a depth buffer and the FBO with colour attachments is all you'll need. However, as soon as you use FBOs in a 3D scene and enable depth_testing - you are going to need a depth buffer. This is where renderbuffers are needed as they create the storage for your FBO attributes.

lobbel
04-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Hello, thanks for ur answer. And the last part of your answer is my new questione. I performed a multipass shader (glow).
I tried it with glowing a teapot. To avoid redrawing of the teapo after the shader has been performed I render the teapot in 2 textures. So my fbo has 3 textures. (color attachments) attachment 0 and 1 are for the pingpong and 2 has the original teapot. at the end i draw a full screenquad with my original teapot textured on it and then i blend over the glowed teapot. Well that works fine so far. but i if i have geometry drawn before or after the teapot, i cant see it, because i rendered a fullscreenquad.

for example

drawCube() *
RendertoTexture(true,targettexture 0 and 2);
drawTeapot();
RenderToTexture(false);
Shader pass1
drawFullscreenquad()
Shader pass2
drawOriginalteapot(from target texture 2)
blend on
drawGlowedTeapot();
blend off
drawCube*

So in both case wether the cube is drawn before texture fetch
or after drawing fullscreen quad, i cant see it.
Your hind with the depth buffer makes me think i can save the state of the depthbuffer at the time when i render the reapo into the texture and then when i draw the final result i have to
write the save depth buffer.
Dont know if this works or even if this is the proper way to do.
Im working with Nvidia Cg Shader.

And i can i create a FBO that has a color_attachment and a depth_attachment at the same time ? so that i can call glBindFramebufferEXT and glBindRenderbufferEXT. I think, yes. Am I right ?

greetings ,
lobbel