PDA

View Full Version : Texture mapping using a DDS image

Random89
03-25-2009, 03:14 PM
I am trying to texture map using a DDS image and the nvImage.h Nvidia file in my game. I have used the exact same code (got it from a tutorial) before and it worked but when I include it in my game the texture doesn't load. The main code where I think the problem is, is shown below:

nv::Image img;
if(img.loadImageFromFile("lect.dss"))
{
glGenTextures(1, &myTexture);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, myTexture);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_GENERATE_MIPMAP, GL_TRUE);
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, img.getInternalFormat(), img.getWidth(), img.getHeight(), 0, img.getFormat(), img.getType(), img.getLevel(0));
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);
glTexParameterf(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAX_ANISOTROPY_EXT, 16.0f);
}

else
MessageBox(NULL, "Texture Lect is not found", "Error", MB_OK | MB_ICONINFORMATION);

Anyone know what I am doing wrong? I have been having problems with texture mapping for a while so it could be something really obvious.

Ilian Dinev
03-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Assuming you're using DXT1 (why else DDS), replace all those gl calls with:

glEnable(GL_TEXTURE);
glGenTextures(1, &myTexture);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, myTexture);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);
glTexParameterf(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAX_ANISOTROPY_EXT, 16.0f);
glCompressedTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D,0,GL_COMPRESS ED_RGB_S3TC_DXT1_EXT,wid,hei,0,nSize,data);

Random89
03-29-2009, 05:27 AM
Thanks, but what type do I need to define data as? I tried:
const GLvoid data;

But loads of errors come up.

dletozeun
03-29-2009, 07:11 AM
IMO, the best in an array of unsigned byte (GLubyte) since nSize in the above code is the unsigned byte count in the image.

Random89
03-29-2009, 08:45 AM
Still getting an error:
1>.\game1.cpp(192) : error C2664: 'void (GLenum,GLint,GLenum,GLsizei,GLsizei,GLint,GLsizei ,const GLvoid *)' : cannot convert parameter 8 from 'GLubyte' to 'const GLvoid *'

Any idea? It is probably something really simple but I haven't done enough to see it yet.

Random89
03-29-2009, 12:59 PM
I have managed to repair the damage to the original code and it now loads a texture, but when I try different textures they show up just as white. Is there anything about .dds textures that I need to make sure is right. I even opened the texture that was working with Paint.net and drew a line over and it shows up as white again.

dletozeun
03-29-2009, 04:01 PM
1>.\game1.cpp(192) : error C2664: 'void (GLenum,GLint,GLenum,GLsizei,GLsizei,GLint,GLsizei ,const GLvoid *)' : cannot convert parameter 8 from 'GLubyte' to 'const GLvoid *

Clearly, you don't provide an unsigned byte array to glCompressedTexImage2D. You have to give the texture address whose type should be GLubyte* since it is a pointer.