PDA

View Full Version : Improving performance

Capagris
03-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Hi, I need to build a program which render as many quads as possible and I am not happy with my best solution at the moment...

Well, i am using lists and my structure is the following:

for(each quad)
glNewList();
glBegin(GL_QUADS);
glVertex3f(-size, -size, 0.0);
glVertex3f( size, -size, 0.0);
glVertex3f( size, size, 0.0);
glVertex3f(-size, size, 0.0);
glEnd();
glEndList();

Execution:

for (each list){
glPushMatrix()
glTranslatef()//Each quad has its position in the 3D world
billboardCheat()//All quads are looking to the camera and it affects to the modelview matrix
glDisplayList()
glPopMatrix()
}

I wish I could put all the quads in only one list inside one glbegin. Do you see any way to improve it?

ZbuffeR
03-16-2009, 07:58 AM
The only way I can think of is to do the billboardCheat within the vertex shader.

thinks
03-16-2009, 08:36 AM
If possible, make one display list for all the quads, instead of one per quad, as it seems you are doing now.

// Old
//
for(each quad)
glNewList();
glBegin(GL_QUADS);
glEnd();
glEndList();

// New
//
glNewList();

glBegin(GL_QUADS);
for(each quad)
{
}
glEnd();

glEndList();

I.e. reduce the number of glBegin/glEnd calls, since these are most likely stored in the display list along with your vertex information.

Capagris
03-16-2009, 08:58 AM
Thank ZbuffeR, your idea is possible. I could apply billboardCheat in VS and the translatef directly over the glVertex3f and then I could put all quads inside a glbegin and a list.

I have heard about vertex arrays and vertex buffer object(but i havent used them), are them or any other way faster than one list with only one glbegin for all vertices?

ZbuffeR
03-16-2009, 09:09 AM
It will depend on the implementation, for example Nvidia drivers seem unbeatable at optimizing the display list.
But trying to master VBO is a good idea, as it also allow easier update of dynamic geometry.

BionicBytes
03-16-2009, 10:25 AM
It can easily be done with the use of a VS and vertex arrays.
You start by sending your quads as a vertex array - sending the same position 4 times (each vertex of the quad). The clever bit is sending a vec3 as the texture coordinate - the last float is set as 0,1,2,3 0,1,2,3, ... 0,1,2,3 and is used to determine which vertex edge the VS is processing.
As a uniform, we send the VS a modified modelview matrix which is then accessed using the 3rd texture cordinate to obtain the camera aligned vertex for the quad.
The result is an array of camera aligned quads. I the rendering loop, either send in a translate position as a shader uniform, or add the translate position to the centre position of the quad and bake into the vertex array. The choice depends upon whether the quads will move - eg particles of smoke.

Ilian Dinev
03-16-2009, 12:11 PM
On a similar note, can display-lists be created by specifying vertex-arrays and indexes, instead of a million glVertex3f/etc ?

Dan Bartlett
03-16-2009, 12:58 PM
You could use point-sprites, available in OpenGL core since 2.0, and via extensions GL_ARB_point_sprite or GL_NV_point_sprite from version 1.4 onwards.

You would just need to provide the positions, rather than quads.

example code (Delphi):

var
params: array[0..2] of GLfloat = (1,0.0,0.02);
begin
glEnable(GL_POINT_SPRITE);
glPointSize(32);
glPointParameterf(GL_POINT_FADE_THRESHOLD_SIZE, 20);
glPointParameterf(GL_POINT_SIZE_MIN, 0);
glPointParameterf(GL_POINT_SIZE_MAX, 128);
glPointParameterfv(GL_POINT_DISTANCE_ATTENUATION, @params);
// to flip the sprite upside down (openGL 2.0+ only)
//glPointParameteri(GL_POINT_SPRITE_COORD_ORIGIN, GL_LOWER_LEFT);

glTexEnvf(GL_POINT_SPRITE,GL_COORD_REPLACE,GL_TRUE );

GLMaterialLibrary1.ApplyMaterial('snowflake', rci);

// Fill the vertices list
vertices.Clear;

// For every particle, add to list:
vertices.Add(aParticle.Position);
vertices.Add(aParticle2.Position);

glEnableClientState(GL_VERTEX_ARRAY);
glVertexPointer(3,GL_FLOAT,0,vertices.List);
glDrawArrays(GL_POINTS,0,vertices.Count);
glDisableClientState(GL_VERTEX_ARRAY);

GLMaterialLibrary1.UnApplyMaterial(rci);

end;

BionicBytes
03-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Forgive me, but aren't point sprites limited in size?
On most NV hardware that I've used point_size max = 63 so that does not make for very large quads.
Good solution for small particles though.

Ilian Dinev
03-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Plus, point-sprites are limited to squares. Trees, poles, etc can't be done as efficiently with them.

scratt
03-16-2009, 08:02 PM
If you have Geometry shaders you can adopt a similar method to which BionicBytes mentions, and send one central point per QUAD, and have the Geometry shader emit the vertices for the QUAD you want as a Triangle Strip.

This effectively gives you 'point sprites' with no size limit.