PDA

View Full Version : Textures: Front Face Only

DreamingMoon
02-04-2008, 02:14 PM
I'm a developer of CAD software. A customer has requested that texture mapping be restricted to the front faces of polygons. I can't find that OpenGL supports an easy way to achieve that, like it does for lighting.

The solution I've thought of is: turn texturing on, cull back faces, render; turn texturing off, cull front faces, render again; swap. I really wish there were a simpler, faster approach. If you know of one, let me know. The answer has proved to be google-resistant, at least with the search terms I've thought of.

Also, if anyone can comment on whether my customer's request seems like a common one (that is, consistent with what is available in other software), I'd appreciate it.

-NiCo-
02-04-2008, 02:25 PM
If you're using shaders, you can always follow different paths in the fragment shader based on the built-in gl_FrontFacing variable.

N.

DreamingMoon
02-04-2008, 02:56 PM
If you're using shaders, you can always follow different paths in the fragment shader based on the built-in gl_FrontFacing variable.

N.
Hmmm. Interesting. My first reaction is that it wouldn't be worth the effort, and wouldn't run much faster than my original two-pass method.

knackered
02-04-2008, 03:17 PM
I have similar customer requirements, and the two pass method you described is what I've always used.

CatDog
02-04-2008, 04:32 PM
Me too. Go for two passes. If you don't already, use VBOs for uploading vertex data. The two passes won't be slower than a single pass method (if it existed). About the simplicity: managing frontface texturing in one pass and backface lighting in another seems much simpler than mixing both things up in one pass, don't you agree?

CatDog

Seth Hoffert
02-04-2008, 05:25 PM
I also use the two pass method in one of my programs which renders thousands of 2D cards. It simplifies things a lot, and is fast with culling.

Xmas
02-05-2008, 03:38 AM
My first reaction is that it wouldn't be worth the effort, and wouldn't run much faster than my original two-pass method.
That depends on where your bottleneck is. If you have an enormous amount of geometry yet use a simple fragment shader (as is quite common for CAD), it may well be possible that the cost of processing geometry twice is higher than adding a simple conditional to the fragment shader. It also depends on the hardware used.

As for simplicity, if you're using just a single fragment shader adding "if(gl_FrontFacing) {...} else {...}" to it is probably as simple as it gets. Certainly worth a try.