CrazyButcher
01-04-2008, 10:52 AM
hi,
I've been setting up an FBO with following texture attachments

color0 = RGBA 8-bit
color1-3 = none
depth = DEPTH_COMPONENT24
stencil = none

I get GL_FRAMEBUFFER_INCOMPLETE_DIMENSIONS_EXT as FBO error, eventhough the textures are all equal width/height (512)

when changing the depthtexture to DEPTH_COMPONENT16, it worked and no error was thrown.

Is this my fault, or drivers

ATI 9600 mobile, which doesnt support DEPTH24 textures, but didnt complain on texture creation, and I assumed they would simply pick the next best format to use

V-man
01-05-2008, 07:28 AM
Do you make a render buffer for the depth or a texture?
My code starts by trying to create a RGBA8 + DEPTH=32, STENCIL=0 and it succeeds.
With older drivers, I think neiher 32 or 24 depth worked. Only 16.

CrazyButcher
01-05-2008, 09:52 AM
all texture attachments, no renderbuffers used.

-NiCo-
01-05-2008, 10:21 AM
I had 24bit depth textures working by using GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil/GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil. It has 24bits depth and 8 bits stencil.

N.

CrazyButcher
01-05-2008, 12:43 PM
yes those work as well if hardware allows, I just wondered why it would return INCOMPLETE_DIMENSIONS, when sizes matched. I suspect this to be driver bug, as I haven't gotten it on geforce8 & 6 hardware. But I wanted to make sure I haven't "missed" something about INCOMPLETE_DIMENSIONS.

-NiCo-
01-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Dis you retrieve the actual depth texture states (width, height,etc...) after its creation? Do they match what you requested?

N.

tamlin
01-06-2008, 04:29 AM
"I just wondered why it would return INCOMPLETE_DIMENSIONS, when sizes matched" sound like they simply used an error value not really descriptive for the problem.

My first reaction is that UNSUPPORTED would have been a better error value to use (to try to communicate the depth-buffer request couldn't be satisfied), but then OpenGL hasn't exactly got a history of descriptive error reporting. It didn't matter that much in the early 1.x days, but with FBO it became quite clear the error reporting mechanism is ... displaying its age.

Which reminds me: ARB; are there new (and more precise) errors defined for 3.x?

V-man
01-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Looks like it is actually spitting out a GL_INVALID_OPERATION on the call to

glFramebufferTexture2DEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT, GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT_EXT, GL_TEXTURE_2D, TextureID, 0);

and then frame buffer check gives GL_FRAMEBUFFER_INCOMPLETE_DIMENSIONS_EXT

so I guess on ATI drivers do not like when we try to bind a depth texture. I tried with 32, 24 and 16 bit depth.

CrazyButcher
01-20-2008, 05:04 PM
I just used DEPTH_COMPONENT and let it pick something itself (catalyst 7.9, haven't checked latest) and that worked.

V-man
01-20-2008, 05:21 PM
What are all your calls to make the color and depth texture and the FBO?