PDA

View Full Version : GLUT Efficiency

pmatos
11-22-2003, 11:19 AM
Hi,

If I choose to use GLUT to develop an OpenGL program instead a OS dependent toolkit, will that mean that it'll run a lot slower? The question is, will the use of GLUT create an efficiency issue on my program?

Can GLUT be as efficient as any other toolkit?

Best Regards,
Paulo Matos

marcus256
11-22-2003, 12:38 PM
I believe that GLUT has an efficency problem if you do not use the special game mode. I do not know the exact reasons, but I have heard that GLUT does some strange things in "standard" mode.

If you do use the game mode, I think the efficiency difference is negligable (compared to a native toolkit or a custom native wrapper).

Hint: you may want to have a look at GLFW too, which is a platform independent toolkit that does not suffer from efficiency problems.

pmatos
11-22-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by marcus256:
I believe that GLUT has an efficency problem if you do not use the special game mode. I do not know the exact reasons, but I have heard that GLUT does some strange things in "standard" mode.

If you do use the game mode, I think the efficiency difference is negligable (compared to a native toolkit or a custom native wrapper).

What do you mean by game mode? How can I enable it and what are the differences from standard mode? Any references?

Best regards,
Paulo Matos

marcus256
11-25-2003, 01:53 AM
glutInitDisplayMode(GLUT_RGB | GLUT_DOUBLE | GLUT_DEPTH);
glutGameModeString("640x480:16@60");
glutEnterGameMode();
glutLeaveGameMode();

See "Help with glutGameMode" in http://www.mathies.com/glfaq/GLToolkitFAQ.html