PDA

View Full Version : New Graphics Library

dmdrummond
11-08-2001, 02:31 AM
Would anyone like to start on making a new graphics library. Generally it would be linux\windows based, hopefully with 2d and 3d functions. It would be Object Oriented, so developed in C++, and come complete with a windowing tookit. Anyone interested? Open Source is now a good option.

Lev
11-09-2001, 02:22 PM
There are already hundreds of such projects, many having a similar problem: they die after a month or two.

-Lev

dmdrummond
11-10-2001, 12:44 PM
Name Some.

Lev
11-11-2001, 07:22 AM
go to sourceforge.net and search for "3d c++" there are plenty of different 3d,2d,c++, ... libraries.

-Lev

cityhunter
11-12-2001, 11:11 AM
seek for glow or somethings like that....

dorbie
11-13-2001, 02:49 AM
Or check out the 3D engine list. Thousands of em, from low level rasterizers to sophisticated professional scene graphs. The trouble with someone starting a project like this is they clearly don't know what's out there or they wouldn't bother, and knowing what's out there is a nice prerequisite for starting. Catch 22. There are lot's of projects and most of them are very bad, some are quite good. There is still a dearth of 3D applications although people seem to think they are really cool, so maybe chase a 3D application project.

Most projects on Farce Scourge never get past the planning stage, how many projects are on there now in the planning stage with zero software developers?

Lev
11-14-2001, 10:23 AM
Though OT, but IMO Linux/Windows still needs a good free modelling software. Blender sucks, all other I've tried suck too (compared to 3dsmax). Many many people have the problem of having a 3d engine but having no data to play with. 3dsmax allows to create simple 3d models even without great knowledge of the package. We need something free like 3dsmax.

-Lev

dmdrummond
11-16-2001, 02:09 PM
Yeah I suppose. ANyone wanna make a modeller/animator?

Korval
11-16-2001, 03:54 PM
My only complaint about Blender is that it doesn't have a programmatic interface to data (outside of writing some Python script), which makes exporting data to a non-Blender file format difficult. Granted, I haven't used Blender yet, but I hate 3DS Max's interface enough to give Blender the benifit of the doubt.

Lev
11-17-2001, 06:15 AM
And the exporting features of Blender won't get any better, I guess because NaN doesn't want it.

One huge plus of 3dsmax ist procedural nature of objects: you create a sphere, and you can change the paramaters like radius or complexity any time. Also the modifier stack is a great thing. And of course many many features blender does not have simply because its free and 3dsmax not.

dmdrummond: The modelling/animation app is a huge project, you cannot just say: "okay lets do it" and in after some time its ready.

-Lev

V-man
11-17-2001, 08:19 AM
I think Blender is just another business model. I tried it and more or less understood it. Some basic features I wanted were missing. But it's ok except for the file exporting. The interface needs to be redone completly.

But what do you expect. $ = quality (in most cases)

V-man

pATChes11
11-17-2001, 10:50 AM
Have you guys taken a look at gmax? I like it... http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif

Lev
11-19-2001, 12:02 PM
AFAIK gmax does not support exporing/importing other formats than its own. Or can you use MaxScript to write your own exporter, I believe not.

-Lev

gaby
12-04-2001, 10:05 AM
I'm agrea with all what has been said, and i think that money is a important part for a really great development, but not necessary the key part. The proof is Linux, that is an Open Source project that start on the Linus Torval fundations.
I think, in all projects, we must have brains that establish the context in wich other coders come to extend the features of the software.
I'm working on a expendable multi-purpose low level library that permit the contribution of every coders trough a strict but very simple mecanisms. This API is not based on a classic function list, but on few function and selectors with simple type parameters (no structures), like in opengl.

I will communicate in few month on this, and I'll hope that many people will join the extension of this library.

Over this library, a full featured class library is running, with a 3D engine, a GUI called EZ GUI, and a lot of other things...
At end, this tools will integrate a low poly modeler that is derived from one I have developped for the development of a race game for Michelin (the french tire manufacturer).

So, I think it is posible to make more efficient than 3DS max for the game development, by making the content tools creation running directly over the game engine !

I'm working on portable, modulare and expendable software that will offer very advanced features (infinite undo, construction stack, network absolute realtime synchronysation)...

I hope port all this over DirectX and Renderware, to offer a new level of developpement time reduction.

Gaby