PDA

View Full Version : Macromedia Director and Open Gl

04-02-2001, 05:11 AM
I found an extra for director that adds Open Gl support. I know how to use director. Is this a good way to develop a 3d game for a mac(through director)? I would like to learn as little new code as possible! Can you think of any extra problems I might encounter by taking this route?

Kainsin
04-02-2001, 08:04 AM
That depends, how much code do you know?

( Take note: I've never used Director and I'm assuming that it's an art program )

04-03-2001, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by Kainsin:
That depends, how much code do you know?

( Take note: I've never used Director and I'm assuming that it's an art program )

Director is a program for creating interactive content like shockwave. I am good at director and can make excellent 2d games with it .The extra adds 3d into director but I dont know any opengl code (yet).

Kainsin
04-05-2001, 07:05 AM
Hmm...well since I've never used Director I can't really say if it's a good way to make a 3D game or not. I guess you'll just have to try it out and see. ^_^

--Kainsin

Gavin
04-06-2001, 12:15 AM
Yeah give it a go, if you are good at director and are used to programming in a gaming style in it. the transition to 3d shouldn't be too hard as many of the ohysical rules still stand..... Which extra are you talking about?

04-06-2001, 02:29 AM
RavWare OpenGL Xtra. It's at http://www.ravware.com/xtras.htm

I will give it a try as you suggest. Thanks.

Gavin
04-06-2001, 06:06 AM
Looks quite good for providing 3d on the web etc. Have to see how it works in practice though! good luck

04-10-2001, 11:11 AM
Looks like I wont need the extra after all.
Director 8.5 lets you author complete 3D worlds and games using the Lingo programming language and opengl. I will just convince my college to upgrade. Love the way some things just work out!