PDA

View Full Version : nvidia drivers still causing system halts?

fenris
06-20-2000, 02:48 AM
Is anyone still expereincing this little annoyance? I've got the latest NVidia drivers, and XFree86 4.0 on a Slackware 7.0 system. System HW specs: AMD Athlon@700 MHz, AMD-751 Irongate AGP chipset and an Elsa Erazor X GeForce 256. It seems these lockups occur most often in my windowed glut applications, and not so frequent in "full screen" apps. Anyone have a clue as to why this happens or have experienced the same with a similar system? I know Irongate chipsets had their troubles in Windows as well, where lockups occured until you set the board to AGP 1x mode.

MC
06-22-2000, 07:43 AM
Try to lower you AGP memory size. On my system (128Mo) when I set it to the size of physical RAM, I have regular swapping that cause glitches. When I set up to half size, all problems diseappears.

I had no other lockups with the lastest driver (0.93).

06-24-2000, 01:08 PM
I had the same problem... But the solution is quite simple: turn off agp support.
read the FAQ from nvidia to find out exactly how this is done, but i think it was something like appending
Option "NvAgp" "0"
to the screen section of your XF86Config

fenris
06-30-2000, 03:51 AM
Well..I switched back to the v0.9-2 where I was using v0.9-3. All lockups have since then, ceased. Hmmmmmm....