PDA

View Full Version : Linux vs Windows

01-21-2002, 08:14 PM
Is it relatively easy to write an application in openGL to run on both Linux and Windows?

Thanks,

Rick

01-21-2002, 08:35 PM
Yes, if you use libraries that have both Linux and Windows ports. A GLUT program for example should compile and run on both platforms without any changes.

Tolga Dalman
01-21-2002, 09:15 PM
hi!

if you need more than just an opengl window and some event handling routines, then you should try http://www.libsdl.org .
it's similar to directx, but simpler, easier, and of course it uses opengl for 3d. also, with sdl-addon libraries, you can use network, fonts, threading.... and all platform independant. give it a try ;-)

cheers,
Tolga.

Boris008
01-22-2002, 02:58 PM
I agree about sdl, I've been using sdl under windoze and linux and have recently started using the sdl_image package to load all my textures. The only problem is that sdl loads images upside down and inverted. However, with the sdl_image package you can load tga's, bmp's, tiff's, jpg's,.......etc.

I use the SDL_GetTick() command for a timer, can anyone comment on how this timer compares with other timers as far as resolution and performance are concerned?

boris

Tolga Dalman
01-22-2002, 11:22 PM
hi again,

I agree about sdl, I've been using sdl under windoze and linux and have recently started using the sdl_image package to load all my textures. The only problem is that sdl loads images upside down and inverted.

hm, i haven't used sdl_image yet, but i guess that shouldn't be a problem. you can either switch your texture-coords or you write a simple routine (i believe one of the nehe tutorials use a switching function for bmp, since it's "by nature" reverted).

good luck ;-)
bye,
Tolga.

Tolga Dalman
01-22-2002, 11:25 PM
oh, i forgot the timer:

afaik, the timer function is quite good, and it's resolution is about 10 ms, but don't send me to hell, if i was wrong.
the man page says, SDL_GetTicks(Uint32 t) returns at least the value for t (in ms).