PDA

View Full Version : Linux Slow

caophong
05-07-2001, 12:08 PM
hi, after i added some trees to my program, the program performance slow down by to 1/3 before i added some trees figures. so is there a way that i can make my program run fast? i am running on amd 800mhz. any function or command that i can you will be helpful. thank you.

05-07-2001, 08:58 PM
If you are using OpenGL without any 3D graphic card will it certainly be slow. The only solution is to get the hardware.

caophong
05-08-2001, 10:20 AM
yeah, you are right, but i am using the computer in my school lab so i just run it in window nt and it runs much faster.

05-08-2001, 11:34 PM
The MS software implementation on windows has a bad reputation so this is surprising. Maybe has nt different resolution or color depth? Try to use the lowest possible values and disable all buffers that is not needed.

I think that most cards has much better 2D performance in windows than in linux because of better drivers and this can also be important.

chennes
05-09-2001, 04:08 AM
I'm not running on much better, and even in software mode with several hundred thousand polys my speed is excellent... What exactly are you drawing here?

Chris

caophong
05-09-2001, 10:00 AM
well i just draw some 3d houses made of cube and perhaps the reason why it slow is because i draw some trees that uses cylinder as branch and each tree has a lot of branches and i think that is why it is slow, but i change the cylinder stack to a minimum value so it a little bit better.