PDA

View Full Version : glx tutorial?

jmg
06-20-2003, 08:40 AM
I'm curious how difficult it is to simply use glx (and however much of X stuff is necessary) to draw some double-buffered OpenGL primitives. Can anyone point me to a tutorial for this?

jmg
06-20-2003, 09:01 AM
Sorry, I forgot to search this forum's archive before asking.

I found:

PK wrote:
man glxIntro

Check out /usr/X11R6/man. There are a whole bunch of manpages
sitting in that directory.

zen wrote:
For some example code try the glx linux ports of the tutorials
at nehe.gamedev.net.

Then satan (and maybe other of his minions) pointed to:
http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~Mihael.Vrbanec/projekte.html
for the nehe glx ports.

Za! The code is pretty nicely done, but there's a *lot* of
stuff in there that, say, SDL takes care of for you.

richardve wrote:
.. but be warned: X can be a real bitch

I see what you mean. I may just take another look at SDL.

[This message has been edited by jmg (edited 06-20-2003).]

Stonemaster
06-22-2003, 12:41 AM
I don't think it's worth learning X from the ground up if you don't intend to write another abstraction layer like Qt. X is really dirty and you might become frustrated especially if you're a beginner. SDL simply rules and makes your life easy. A great disadvantage of plain X is that it isn't portable at all like Win32 API so why don't start with somehting that can be compiled on every platform?

See you,
-Stone.

zen
06-22-2003, 03:35 AM
X isn't really that difficult to program or 'dirty' in design. It has become quite complex over the years that's for sure but there's still a general overall design that 'makes sense'. Anyway if you get the X lib programming manual and maybe the ICCM you'll have all the docs you need to get started. The Xlib manual even explains how X works and how to do certain tasks like opening and handling windows etc. besides just describing the various functions. Stonemaster is right about the portability issue though,... X isn't. On the other hand you migh have to use X to get more control over the windowing system that other toolkits can't(for example making a window non-resizable - I don't know if SDL does this but I think GLUT doesn't). Anyway what I wanted to say is that you certainly can't expect X to be as easy as SDL to program but it isn't too dificult either. I gave links for the above docs in a recent post, search the forums if you want.

jide
06-23-2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by Stonemaster:
A great disadvantage of plain X is that it isn't portable at all like Win32 API so why...

hmmm.. are you telling that Win32 API is portable ?? Do you really think that ? This is the worth for portability (only available on W32 plateforms).
However X is available for almost all Unix, BSD, and could be available for Mac, and why not W32 (threw Cygwin).

I may be wrong for Cygwin as I did not use it for OpenGL.

Anyway, if your interrest is in knowing how things work from the making of a window to the gl rendering, that may be a good thing for you: W32 API is not studied like that and provides you some ways but not all as X does. You've got to know too that it will take more time to you to do this way as if you were using glut or SDL.

hope this helps.

jide

jmg
06-24-2003, 03:47 PM
Whoops. Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread. Thanks for the replies.

Personally, X is plenty cross-platform enough for the OS's I'm concerned about. http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif

zen, I assume by "X lib programming manual" you mean volume 1 (ISBN: 1565920023, by Adrian Nye) of that set from O'Reilly.

Hmm... searching for ICCCM and xlib finds a number of hits.

Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by jmg (edited 06-24-2003).]

zen
06-25-2003, 02:35 AM
Take a look at this (http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000980.html) thread, towards the end. I have the links there.

[This message has been edited by zen (edited 06-25-2003).]

jmg
06-26-2003, 11:47 AM
Nice. Thanks zen.