PDA

View Full Version : Newest NVidia Drivers

Spoonman
03-16-2001, 05:16 AM
Question: Has anyone got the newest drivers to work? I spent the better part of the day yesterday trying to get them to run until I finally switched back over to the 0.9-6 version. The driver load, the card is found then the ever-so-familar message "Caught Signal 11. Server Aborting" http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif. The failure is something to the extent of the driver not being able to allocate the device. Then 3 or 4 unresolved symbols. I've got 3 other machines I was to try the driver/GLX on but I don't want to run into the same problems.

-=Nelson=-

jackz
03-16-2001, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Spoonman:
Question: Has anyone got the newest drivers to work? I spent the better part of the day yesterday trying to get them to run until I finally switched back over to the 0.9-6 version. The driver load, the card is found then the ever-so-familar message "Caught Signal 11. Server Aborting" http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif. The failure is something to the extent of the driver not being able to allocate the device. Then 3 or 4 unresolved symbols. I've got 3 other machines I was to try the driver/GLX on but I don't want to run into the same problems.

-=Nelson=-

Yes they also work some machines.
I have mandrake 7.2 xfree 4.0.2 and new
nvidia drivers compiled to tar.

works fine

03-18-2001, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Spoonman:

-=Nelson=-

Yes, I run the newest nVidia driver on Mandrake 8.0 B2, but I had to compile it myselves. (not RPM install) This required me to take away a few lines in the source of one kernel file and a couple of the driver files. Mainly comment away the "#include <linux/moduleversions.h> sections and run make. B.t.w. read the nVidia driver FAQ in case you have some special AGP hardware or something...

dagmc
03-18-2001, 11:20 PM
I'm running the newest Driver too on Redhat 6.2 with 2.2.18 Kernel and XFree 4.0.2 and I don't had problems. Download the sourcecode and compile it by your own. To compile the driver you need the kernel sources.

waverider
03-18-2001, 11:35 PM
nVidia drivers is known to segfault if installed in X/lib instead of usr/lib.

Spoonman
03-19-2001, 04:37 AM
This is kind of funny. I didn't want to take the newest drivers to another computer of mine because I was having problems getting the 0.9-6 kernel to work on it(another seg fault/core dump). Well, I finally did and the 0.9-7 gets farther then the 0.9-6(read: still doesn't work, but closer). The computer that the 0.9-6 kernel worked on doesn't like the 0.9-7. Both are running Redhat 6.2 with the 2.2.19pre7 or 2.4.0 kernel. Back to fiddling with it...

-=Nelson=-