PDA

View Full Version : LFS

mrdaniel
01-16-2006, 09:25 AM
i'm working on a project to roll out a custom linux distro using LFS, SDL, OpenGL. Has any one done that before and if so please advise whether its achievable or not.

thanks.
daniel lee
dragon3D
singapore

PkK
01-19-2006, 01:12 AM
I have not done this, but the OpenGL part should be easy (including hardwre-accellerated OpenGL): The build instructions at http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Building should contain everything you need as long as you stay with the free DRI drivers (which mostly means no hardware acceleration on Nvidia cards).

Philipp

01-19-2006, 11:58 AM
before i go on your mention of the no hardware acceleration for nVidia cards. what do you meant ?

For my project will be using nvidia FX series and Quadro. I hope the LFS and what you are directing me towards will be able to support nVidia cards.

please examplify your point.

thanks

PkK
01-20-2006, 10:35 AM
It will be difficult if your distribution has to support hardware-acceleration for both Nvidia and non-Nvidia cards.
The instructions I directed you to will only give hardware acceleration on non-Nvidia cards.
You can probably find something about support for Nvidia cards on Nvidia's website (Nvidia cards need non-free binary drivers. They will only work on x86).

Overmind
01-21-2006, 04:58 AM
There should be no problem with LFS and nvidia cards. I have built a system that's based on LFS myself (ok, actually there's not much original LFS left in it after a lot of manual updating, but that shouldn't make a difference).

Just install LFS according to the book, then install X11 as described in the BLFS book. Then you have to install the driver from the nvidia website, it comes with a setup that works just fine on an LFS system.

This should be all you need for pure OpenGL. I think there are chapters in the BLFS book for SDL and freeglut, in case you need them.

01-21-2006, 06:14 AM
hi overmind,

i'd put in about 12 days of at least 16 hours a day trying to use LFS, and currently i'm only at ch-6, may i ask for your direct assistance just to cut down un-necessary mistakes. please reply to me directly if its ok for you at mrdaniel@singnet.com.sg

ciao.