PDA

View Full Version : ATI driver problem

jonasmr
09-25-2003, 10:26 PM
Hey.

I am trying to install the driver found at ati's homepage - using redhat 9.

The thing is, it seems that the driver is working fine - it is installed, i can see that the screen config in XF86Config-4 is fine - and it starts up(it a pretty low resolution though-800x600 or so).

but fglxrinfo still shows that mesa3d driver - I have tried to force it into loading mine by replacing the ones from XFree86-devel with the fglrx one.

it doesnt help. I'm stuck, and have no idea what to do next, so any hints will be greatly appreciated.

Jonas

10-16-2003, 09:17 AM
Hello I,ve just posted an ati query as well.
I may be able to help you.
Did it complain about a conflict with mesa lbgl when installing?
If so you can safely use the --force option according to the ati website. I tried this and works fine. The alternative is to remove mesa first but use the --nodeps switch both work.
also did you have the kernel sources installed? It must have sources installed to build the driver modules.
I will get back to you if needed.
Hope this helps from relative newcomer getting a sore head from trying to learn everything linux.

10-16-2003, 10:55 PM
Me again
Found good forum that explains in more detail.
follow this link http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=be96d5d2b9f1993dcfc0b06f327ef12e&threadid=33715318

zen
10-18-2003, 05:06 AM
You might also want to make sure that you have DRI enabled. Indirect rendering always falls back to the software Mesa driver. If direct rendering is not enabled check the X logs for errors and the XF86Config4 file.