PDA

View Full Version : VAR and normal pointer not compatable?

WhatEver
04-05-2002, 06:33 AM
I just discovered that I can't use a VAR allocated arrays with a normal allocated arrays.

This is what I did. I used glNormalPointer and glVertexPointer with VAR, and glTexCoordPointer with a normaly allocated array. All I got when I used glDrawElements was a really screwed up bunch of triangles scattered in the original shape of the model.

Is this suppose to happen?

Gorg
04-05-2002, 08:22 AM
That's correct, you cannot mix memory like that.

It is actually mentionned in the specs.

nemesis
04-05-2002, 08:23 AM
Hi!

I don't know the answer. But just a question: Why are you allocating the texcoords array outside the AGP memory??
If your app have to access both memories... it will slow down the process. Have it any sense?

-nemesis-

WhatEver
04-05-2002, 09:15 AM
It's only a temporary bit of code. I'm slowly converting my code to support multitexturing and multi UV layers, since my code isn't set up in a streamlined way yet I just went ahead and used my normal system allocated texture array for now to debug the multi layered UVs.

I know now that when I use VAR, all the UV layers for a particular object will need to be allocated using VAR.

Thanks for clearing up my question BTW! I thought it was a bit odd that it was thrashing like it was...it freaked me out in fact because I didn't know when the problem occured...and tracking down the problem took a while http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif.