PDA

View Full Version : What consumer cards have aux. buffers?

timfoleysama
11-29-2000, 01:16 PM
This is likely a stupid question, but I figured asking it here is the quickest way to get an answer. I basically just want another buffer so that I can render complex effects into it for procedural textures and such, without overwriting the contents of the frame buffer. I realize that its probably far better to do this kind of work between frames using the main buffer, but suppose that weren't possible...

Do most/any consumer cards support this feature? Is it *safe* to use?
i.e. would it be best to request an aux buffer (using up precious framebuffer memory) and use it in such cases or would it be better to do a kind of swap operation, copying out the contents of the framebuffer from a texture-sized area, rendering and copying the texture and then replacing the patch of framebuffer that was overwritten with its original contents?

mcraighead
11-29-2000, 01:52 PM
We don't support aux buffers now, but it is something we are considering.

- Matt

Chiguire
11-30-2000, 10:17 AM
hmmmm, who's "we"?
I mean, you said "We don't support aux buffers now, but it is something we are considering.", who's "we"?

mcraighead
11-30-2000, 10:26 AM
NVIDIA, see my profile...

- Matt

timfoleysama
11-30-2000, 10:32 AM
The "we" he was referring to is nVidia. mcraighead (I believe his real name is Matt) works for nVidia and from what I can tell serves as their unofficial representative and evangelist in these discussion forums. In my opinion, his answers are usually the most useful you'll find.