PDA

View Full Version : new nVidia extensions?

Moshe Nissim
05-27-2002, 10:52 AM
I just downloaded the newly released nVidia 29.60 Linux driver, and took a look in the gl.h header.
I found the following
NV_texture_shader3
NV_packed_normal
NV_half_float
and perhaps most interesting:
NV_fragment_program

The NV_fragment_program has been discussed here before, but without details. Does anybody know what this is? Where the specs are?

NitroGL
05-27-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Moshe Nissim:
I just downloaded the newly released nVidia 29.60 Linux driver, and took a look in the gl.h header.
I found the following
NV_texture_shader3
NV_packed_normal
NV_half_float
and perhaps most interesting:
NV_fragment_program

The NV_fragment_program has been discussed here before, but without details. Does anybody know what this is? Where the specs are?

Just taking a wild stab at this... But I'm guessing the fragment program stuff is an interface like vertex program for doing fragment ops (like the texture shaders).

Humus
05-27-2002, 02:43 PM
Sounds like NV30 stuff, except for NV_texture_shader3 which is already available on GF4 boards. NV_fragment_program has been in for quite a while, I assume it's for NV30's fragment shading, hopefully with a better interface than reg combiners. http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif
The others I don't have any clue about.

Ozzy
05-27-2002, 11:36 PM
are they documented somewhere?
sgi registry hasn't been updated with those new exts.

harsman
05-28-2002, 12:42 AM
This is pure speculation but NV_half_float sort of sounds like a 16-bit floating point format. The things you could do with 16-bit floating point fragment precision....

Isn't full floating point fragment ops part of D3D9 anyway?

ScottManDeath
05-28-2002, 04:21 AM
Hi

I could imagine that NV_fragment_program is a unifying extension for texture_shaders and register_combiners.
I read while ago a presentation on nvidas devolpers site, where they introduced nv_parse. They said that it isn't an openGL extension but later perhaps it could be?
When you look into the source code of nv_parse you see that it can parse directX (!) pixelshaders and map then on register_combiners and texture_shaders.

Perhaps the fragment program is something like a "vertex_program" for fragment with a similar syntax ?

Just some thoughts.

Bye
ScottManDeath