FlavorICE
03-18-2002, 05:49 PM
This may be a bit premature to ask, but
what are the reasons wglAllocateMemory
would fail? I've recieved a pointer from
wglGetProcAddress but wglAllocateMemory
always returns null no matter how much
memory i ask for.

The demos on delphi3d.net won't run either.
One complains of not being able to alloc mem.
I can however run nVidia's VAR demo just fine.

any ideas?

Tom Nuydens
03-19-2002, 01:31 AM
I've seen/heard of at least two people who couldn't allocate AGP memory on their machines -- only video memory. In one of the cases, the GL_RENDERER string indicated the card as being a PCI one, even when it was most certainly an AGP one.

You might want to check this on your machine -- look at the GL_RENDERER string and also try both video and AGP memory. Unfortunately, assuming that you are indeed experiencing the same problem, I haven't a clue of how to solve it http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/frown.gif

-- Tom

FlavorICE
03-19-2002, 04:44 AM
That's exactly whats happening.. *sigh*

Thanks for the insight.

richardve
03-19-2002, 05:12 AM
This may be a dumb question, but have you actually installed an AGP driver?

Tom Nuydens
03-19-2002, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by richardve:
This may be a dumb question, but have you actually installed an AGP driver?

Can you tell me how NOT to install an AGP driver then? If I download Detonator drivers from NVidia, all I do is double-click setup.exe and wait for it to say "please reboot".

-- Tom

zeckensack
03-19-2002, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by Tom Nuydens:
Can you tell me how NOT to install an AGP driver then? If I download Detonator drivers from NVidia, all I do is double-click setup.exe and wait for it to say "please reboot".

-- Tom

Eeek, AGP drivers are provided by the chipset manufacturer, certainly not by NVidia.

Tom Nuydens
03-19-2002, 06:07 AM
Oh, THAT kind of AGP driver. My bad http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif

Well, I think the same remark applies to those, actually. I don't think I've ever been given the option to enable or disable a motherboard's AGP support. I'll see if I can reproduce the problem -- the machine it occured on has been formatted and reinstalled numerous times since the last time it occured.

-- Tom

FlavorICE
03-19-2002, 06:40 AM
I'll give that a shot. I have two machines
with via chipsets. One of which I think has
the 4in1 drivers installed and the other I'm
pretty sure does not. I'll give it a try
when I get home and let you know how it went.

richardve
03-19-2002, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Tom Nuydens:
I don't think I've ever been given the option to enable or disable a motherboard's AGP support. I'll see if I can reproduce the problem -- the machine it occured on has been formatted and reinstalled numerous times since the last time it occured.

I believe the AGP driver for Intel chipsets is installed by default with any version of Windows..
But for VIA chipsets it doesn't install one (but now there's Windows XP.. which _does_ install an AGP driver @ installation time, finally)

I'm not really sure about the Intel driver though since I'm using a VIA chipset myself.

Oh and FlavorICE, you can also check your Device Manager to see if there's an AGP driver installed (System Devices).

FlavorICE
03-19-2002, 01:21 PM
Yep, no agp driver.. Niether system had one
installed.

Thanks, I would have never solved that as
quickly without everyones help. Hopefully my
next problem is a bit more complicated http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/wink.gif