PDA

View Full Version : Binoclar rendering

schailan
08-27-2002, 10:54 PM
Hi everybody,

does anybody have a code about how making a binoclar rendering on my scene!!!

thx

zen
08-28-2002, 12:31 PM
I haven't seen code for this anywhere but I assume you could get the familliar binucular shaped frame as seen in most movies(which isn't very realistic of course but I assume that's what you want right?) using the stencil buffer.I haven't used it yet so I can't help you much but I'm sure you can find info on the net(such as the Red Book for example).As for the actual magnification you can do a simple translation in the viewing direction although I think that it can be done by messing with the fov of the projection.

Nakoruru
08-28-2002, 12:58 PM
A translation in the viewing direction is not the same as a zoom. Zooming is viewing something with a very narrow field of view, while translating is like actually going there. Every wonder why something 500 yards away and a mile away look so close together through binoculars? Its because of parallax. If you actually went a mile, not only would you not see the thing at 500 yards because you passed it, but the parallax effect that people would recognize as 'zooming in' would be negated.

zen
08-29-2002, 03:03 AM
I see.So all you have to do is change the fov in your projection frustum computations(or in the glPerspective call) to get it.Thanks for clearing that up Nakoruru.